Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1993 Polo Green Coupe

Default Battery will not reharge, Clicking Sound behind radio

Battery went dead. Tried to charge, when I hooked up charger, I got a continues clicking sounds coming from the dash, somewhere between the radio and glove compartment. Removed radio, still clicks. If I press hard on brake pedal, sound stops. If I hit the electric locks, sound starts up again. Is there an electric lock relay switch? If so how do you get to it?

Could it be something else?

Corvette(s)
    '90 LT 5

Welcome onto the boards there...

I'm guessing this is '94 - '96? Second guess, if so, is that the Delayed Accessory Bus needs some butter (it's toast) (could also be a failing ground connection in DAB circuit).

DAB is like Motel 6 - it keeps the light on for ya' (for a minute or so). If it fails, the lights stay on, and it can waste your battery...

ed.:
    I see your info says '93. I don't know if DAB circuit is the same, but it's possible...
    Never got a nickel for wrenchin', so I know nuthin'...

Get rid of your electrons. Be positive (+).

Corvette(s)
    1993 Polo Green Coupe

Default Where is the DAB located, how much to replace?

Quote Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
    Welcome onto the boards there...

I'm guessing this is '94 - '96? Second guess, if so, is that the Delayed Accessory Bus needs some butter (it's toast) (could also be a failing ground connection in DAB circuit).

DAB is like Motel 6 - it keeps the light on for ya' (for a minute or so). If it fails, the lights stay on, and it can waste your battery...

ed.:
    I see your info says '93. I don't know if DAB circuit is the same, but it's possible...
    It is a 1993 and the interior lights do stay on. Is a DAB hard to replace? Where is it located? How much?

Corvette(s)
    96 Collectors Edition LT4

I believe you need to use a battery charger with a low amp charging rate. 1-2 amps.

I would not remove or disconnect anything.

After several hours on the charger, you should not hear anything and you should be good to go.

An attendee at all the CruiseFests including the one which never happened.

Autosig (Shadow) A

Corvette(s)
    1993 Polo Green Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by LT4man View Post
    I believe you need to use a battery charger with a low amp charging rate. 1-2 amps.

I would not remove or disconnect anything.

After several hours on the charger, you should not hear anything and you should be good to go.

Thanks, It is now 11:45 pm where I am now so I'll try it tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens
    It is 11:45pm, I'll try tomorrow. Let you know what happens. THANKS

Corvette(s)
    '90 LT 5

Quote Originally Posted by pennstate1977 View Post
    It is 11:45pm, I'll try tomorrow. Let you know what happens. THANKS
    Wow! Talk about irony of ironies! It's almost 11:45 PM AGAIN!!!

Anyway, what happened?

And maybe ask the mods to delete the new thread. Plug N Pray fixes don't exist in Corvette, which is what we all (myself included) hope for - suggestion-wise - when we create a new thread.
    Never got a nickel for wrenchin', so I know nuthin'...

Get rid of your electrons. Be positive (+).

Corvette(s)
    1993 Polo Green Coupe

Default replaced battery, clicking went away, now interior pillar lights will not go off

Quote Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
    Wow! Talk about irony of ironies! It's almost 11:45 PM AGAIN!!!

Anyway, what happened?

And maybe ask the mods to delete the new thread. Plug N Pray fixes don't exist in Corvette, which is what we all (myself included) hope for - suggestion-wise - when we create a new thread.
    replaced battery, clicking went away, now pillar lights will not turn off (This must be what killed the battery)

Corvette(s)
    96 Collectors Edition LT4

In the meantime, I would disconnect both pillar lights. Use a flat blade screwdriver to pop the light assembly out. In this way, you could still drive and enjoy your Vette.

A Factory Service Manual would tell you where the wiring for those lights go. There is a timer hooked up to them. Might be involved in this issue.
    An attendee at all the CruiseFests including the one which never happened.

Autosig (Shadow) A

Gone but not forgotten John Robinson's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1993 Polo Green Coupe

Hope this will help with the Cargo Lights staying on.

Looking at wireing diagrams for the cargo lights in my 93 FSM there are just to many pages to be scanned . Look for all the switches that turn on the lights. There should be a switch on the hatch and on each of the doors. After making sure the headlight switch is not in the on position for the cargo lights. Open a door and press the switch in to see if the lights go out. If they do but stay on with door closed see if the plunger can be moved further out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lighting.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	11585
    Last edited by John Robinson; 11-18-12 at 02:17 AM.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Default If you've been P*ssed off and.......................

Slammed the door's,Better check the door switches,they probly got out of adjustment!~!!

junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    1993 Polo Green Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
    Slammed the door's,Better check the door switches,they probly got out of adjustment!~!!

How about the switch on the headlights is pushed all the way up and they are simply turned on.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    How about the switch on the headlights is pushed all the way up and they are simply turned on.
    I've overlooked that myself!~!!!!

junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!

Default Yes indeed

Check that the light switch in the dash is not turned all the way right to the click stop.. ( that locks the interior lights on ) .
    2nd door pillar switches...

If neither of those work time to whip out the shop manual and trace the circuit.

If the battery went flat... odds that a charge MIGHT take.. so good on you for replacing the battery.

As John states, if the switch is not locked on, or the door pins needs adjustment... pry out the interior lights...

Is the car a daily driver?

Mike
    vigman@earthlink.net

Corvette(s)
    1993 Polo Green Coupe

A note to the OP. You have two more threads started for the problem with the cargo lights. The problem with doing that is those who are trying to help you here are not seeing all the information that is pertinent to helping to solve your issue. In one of the other threads you say you disconnected the hatch switch. I am not an electrical engineer but if you did not have a problem with the cargo lights staying on before you did that. Then it may be that by disconnecting the switch you created a circuit open signal to the ccm and it is simply doing what it is supposed to do which is to turn the light on when the hatch opens. You might try pushing the plunger for that switch in to see if that turns the lights out. If that switch is bad you could then put a normally open switch from radio shack in its place and the system would then think the hatch is always closed.

Corvette(s)
    '03 Yellow Coupe & '96 Polo Green convertible

Default Me too...

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post

I joined the club a few days ago in my C4.

Way to easy to do.
    --Mark