Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheFinn

Thread: 1986 C4 transmission swap

Default 1986 C4 transmission swap

Hey im thinking about buying a 1986 corvette. It has the doug nash 4+3 which is shot it goes into gears very hard. I was doing some research on converting it to a 6 speed andit seems like it would be pretty expensive to do it right so i was wondering if it would be easier to just put a regular 4 speed manual in it. What transmission would be the best and how involved would it be?

Corvette(s)
    C3 -78, C4 -86

Why not get a complete working second hand 4+3 unit to retain the overdrive?

AFAIK if you remove the overdrive unit you will need longer driveshaft and end up with high revs on freeway. A TKO or equivalent 5 speed is on my list when the 4+3 someday gives up - even then probably needs driveshaft fiddling.

Mac
    Corvette(s)
    yellow 1973 coupe L82 4 spd with no power options

I'm not a C4 kinda guy so I can't help you with the technicals but I can say WELCOME to you both!

-Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Corvette(s)
    C3 -78, C4 -86

Thanks Mac.
    Mac likes this.

Corvette(s)
    87 z-51

Quote Originally Posted by C4corvette View Post
    Hey im thinking about buying a 1986 corvette. It has the doug nash 4+3 which is shot it goes into gears very hard. I was doing some research on converting it to a 6 speed andit seems like it would be pretty expensive to do it right so i was wondering if it would be easier to just put a regular 4 speed manual in it. What transmission would be the best and how involved would it be?

Thats as much a clutch problem as it is a worn tranny.