Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1986 Corvette Pace Car

Default Smog/air pump delete

Smog pump seized and broke belt on my 1986 so I am going to get rid of the pump. I will need a shorter belt now. Does anyone know what size belt I should try first that maybe did this before? also do you see any issues with getting rid of it. I live in a place that it is not required. Thanks
    Greg

Corvette(s)
    87 z-51

It can be done but why? on a stock engine it cost more to get rid of the air pump than it does to replace it.

To remove it you MUST:
    get the pulley kit & brackets ($145) pulley ( $55 belt)
    new belt appropiate size (with a good kit it uses the stock belt)

To remove the pump and not create more problems down the road that are expensive you also need to:

remove cats (they plug up faster when the air supply is not there to create the hi-heat burn)
    Remove AIR system piping or weld closed on ex manifold, remove diverter valves and hoses, cap off or remove line to main cat.

A rebuilt pump only cost & $45 with a lifetime warranty and 5 minutes to change. They seize when they get wet and get water inside. Otherwise a normal air pump runs as long as any other accessory and hurts nothing. If this were a highly modified engine that had no hope of meeting any emissions standards then removing it just to make it simple would be the best move. But for a stock or semi-stock motor, its a PITA to do it right (remove) and costly when compared to replacing just a pump.

You can;t just take it off and stick a shorter belt on there....not that easy. If it was, it wouldn't be a Corvette.

Corvette(s)
    1986 Corvette Pace Car

Where would you find a rebuilt pump for $45. The cheapest I could find in Canada (pei) was 220 before taxes and a 13 dollar core
    Greg

Corvette(s)
    Stingray

Ebay new $116.00, free shipping, no core.

CARDONE 32-427 Smog/Air Pump | eBay
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)
    87 z-51

Quote Originally Posted by vettin View Post
    Where would you find a rebuilt pump for $45. The cheapest I could find in Canada (pei) was 220 before taxes and a 13 dollar core
    O'Reilly auto parts...thats a local chain store. I'm not guessing either....I looked it up on their handy dandy website that allows you to search parts and place orders.

Corvette(s)
    1991 White Convertible

Having just replaced mine within the last couple months, i can tell you for a fact, that there are several different variations in the pumps. i assume this is because the rebuilders dismantle all the pumps and just grab the first housing in the pile. the problem i had was the first , the rear mounting holes were a different size. then i got one with the front mount was clocked a bit different. out of 7 pumps ordered, NONE were 100% like mine...finally i just took the one with front housing mount clocked the right way and replaced the rear mount bolts. no huge deal, but issues are issues...