Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Default '87 C4 cam choice

I have a 1987 Corvette and I am thinking of going through the engine. The car presently has no catalytic converters, and the stock mufflers, though I might change the mufflers too.

The question is, which cam do you guys recommend? I would like to stay with the factory roller lifters, and I don't want problems with ancillary items like "too much cam for the intake" or "won't work with the original computer", "heads will need modified", etc.

The car has the 4 + 3 trans... I also don't want to have it overcammed so that it won't work well in overdrive.

So, having said all that, is there a cam choice that would be better than stock, but still work for me? I am thinking that while I can't go very big on the cam due to my parameters, there probably still is a better cam than the original one which was most likely compromised due to emissions requirements. (I live in Mexico so that is not a worry for me.)

Thanks in advance,
    vettebob

Corvette(s)
    1989 True Z51

There are 2 cams that are longtime standards for your engine. The TPiS ZZ9 and the LPE (Accel) 211. You will need to put new valve springs in to accomodate the higher lifts. Your stock springs are @85 lbs and you will need around @ 100 lb springs. They are made to work well with TPI intakes. You will need a tune with any bigger cam to get the most from it.

Corvette(s)
    87 z-51

Get your hands on GM performance catalog or give their customer service number a call. That book has more goodies than you could ever imagine...lots of choices and the best part is, everything you want or need is in one place and its factory developed and tested.

Most GM/Chev dealerships will have the catalog.

Ok, thanks for the answers. What do you mean "tune" with the new cam? A new PROM?

vettebob

Corvette(s)
    1989 True Z51

Yes, if you don't have a local tuner with a simple thing like a cam change you can just do it mail order.

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BADDUCK View Post
    You will need to put new valve springs in to accomodate the higher lifts.
    12495494 - Small Block Chevy LT4 Valve Spring Kit - Used On 1996 LT4 Engines, ZZ4 & Fast Burn 385 Crate Engines (16 Springs) 1.32" Diameter - 12495494

Springs require shims to get installed height correct when removing the stock valve rotators used on the exh valve on 128 heads

Corvette(s)
    1989 True Z51

Yep, best bang for the buck I know of.

Corvette(s)
    1986 Dark red coupe

I'm on the road right now, but when i get back tomorrow night, i'll give you the details of what I put in.....Lunati cam, lifters, springs and I couldnt be happier, did have a new chip burned, reasonable pricing

Corvette(s)
    '92 Red Convertible / '99 Red Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by vettebob View Post
    I have a 1987 Corvette and I am thinking of going through the engine. The car presently has no catalytic converters, and the stock mufflers, though I might change the mufflers too.

The question is, which cam do you guys recommend? I would like to stay with the factory roller lifters, and I don't want problems with ancillary items like "too much cam for the intake" or "won't work with the original computer", "heads will need modified", etc.

The car has the 4 + 3 trans... I also don't want to have it overcammed so that it won't work well in overdrive.

So, having said all that, is there a cam choice that would be better than stock, but still work for me? I am thinking that while I can't go very big on the cam due to my parameters, there probably still is a better cam than the original one which was most likely compromised due to emissions requirements. (I live in Mexico so that is not a worry for me.)

Thanks in advance,
    vettebob
    Comp Cams Computer Controlled, 262HR-12

Something such as this would be a good overall cam over the stock OE cam. Lift is nominal, so you would not have to be concerned with keeper to guide clearance, etc. With a 112* lobe separation angle, it will also be easy to tune. Asking cam questions always opens Pandora's Box, so be prepared...

CG

Thanks for all the answers guys. I'm a hard core hot rodder and have built all my own car and boat engines for 40 years, I've just never done a computer controlled car, nor such a mild engine before. In years past I would have yanked the small block out and put a big block in, but now I need something that is fun but economical too!

Thanks again for the suggestions,
    vettebob

Corvette(s)
    '94 LT1 Green Coupe. 6-spd. All Bolt-ons.

Might catch a bit of flak for this. But you could also consider the LT4 Hot Cam Kit. Includes the 218/228 cam, 1.6:1 RR, springs and most of what you need: GM Performance 12480002 - GM Performance LT4 Hot Cam Hydraulic Roller Cam Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Also on the mufflers, can do a muffler delete, and will probably sound real beefy (any aftermarket headers on the car?) Otherwise, i enjoy magnaflow mufflers, most of my vehicles had them, nice aggressive tone without the drone.

Corvette(s)
    1989 True Z51

No real flak but the Hotcam is really set up for higher rpm ranges than the stock TPI intake will allow so it's not the best match for his intake. If he were to go with an intake with shorter runners the match would be better.

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BADDUCK View Post
    No real flak

Plus you need the 1.6 rockers to get the adv lift on the Hot cam. For less $$$ you can buy a off the shelf cam that has that lift w/ 1.5's
    Is always better to get extra lift at lobe; can always upgrade to 1.6's later if more lift needed

Yeah, appreciate the advice, but that cam is a bit bigger than I want for this application. I can't imagine it doing well at 1700 rpms in overdrive on the highway...

But I do appreciate the input!
    Thanks,
    vettebob