Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1996 Polo Green LT1 Coupe

Default Saw Blade Corvette Rims

Does the direction of the "saw blades" matter? I had some new Kumho Esta ASX tires installed on my vette today and when I got home, I noticed that the saw blades on the rims are pointing the other direction. Though, at least all four wheels are pointing in the same way..
    Are these tires uni-directional like the Goodyears are? I am wondering if I could swap the back and front tires from left to right? I did not see an arrows indicating rotation direction on the side of the tires.

Corvette(s)
    1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"

Are the tires directional?

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe

I don't think that the ASX is directional. I think you can probably swap tires/wheels side to side to get the sawblades running the right direction.

Corvette(s)

I hope the tires are not directional. I read somewhere that the blade design in the rims help cool the brakes. Is this true?

Corvette(s)
    87 z-51

yes it is...
    The twist of the blades on every yr c-4 was designed to help draw air thru the wheel at speed.

In addition, the wheels are part of the handling design where air is forced either around or the car or out from under the car thru the wheels. The low pressure/vac at sustained speed helps stick the car to the road. If the tire shop mounted the tires on the wrong way or the wheels on the wrong side, make 'em fix it. You paid for it, tell them to make it right.

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe

Yes, the blade design helps pull the air in from the outside of the wheel past the brakes to help cool them and it also helps draw the brake dust to the inside of the wheel too.

Corvette(s)
    1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Coupe

So that is why the inside of the wheel is always plastered by brake dust. Hmm...got love Dave McClellan and the boys, always got something neat up their engineering sleeves.

Corvette(s)
    1984 Z51 Silver/Gray & as Much SS & CFibre we find

I'd certainly make the shop switch them and remount the tires if they are'nt unidirectional.
    This is kinda pet peeve of mine...I see Vettes all the time with them going the wrong way. It doesnt help that the earlier c4 vanes are in the opposite direction of the later saw blades and causes confusion.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Toms01 View Post
    I don't think that the ASX is directional. I think you can probably swap tires/wheels side to side to get the sawblades running the right direction.
    Yes,Kumho ASX's are directional tires!

junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
    Yes,Kumho ASX's are directional tires!

Thank you.. At least I now know the tires are mounted in the correct direction! Are you of the same opinion on the direction of the saw blade rims? I think I am going to have them re-mount the tires so the rims are turning the same direction they once were. Should I not drive the car much until the rims are mounted the right way? Will having the saw blade rims rotating the oposite direction, will that have an effect on my brakes? I don't want to tear up my brakes if the rims make a huge difference.

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe

Well, I knew that Jesse used these tires and knew that he would know. That would tend to say that you need to have them remounted. The wheels actually have markings on them saying which side the wheel is supposed to be mounted.

Gone but not forgotten John Robinson's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1993 Polo Green Coupe

Default Check the rims

No you can not rotate the tires. First the back tires are a different size than the front.

Take this picture back to the place that mounted the tires and have them do it right.

If you have a torgue wrench take it along and have them check there torque settings. The nuts should be torqued to 100# per FSM

Junk's picture shows that the tires are directional and therefor if they are mounted on the rims correctly and the rims are mounted according to the information on there inside they should be right. Also make sure they have not mixed the front and rear rims. Again they are two different sizes

Corvette(s)
    1981 coupe, (1)'93 coupe,(1) '93 coupe Z07,

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    No you can not rotate the tires. First the back tires are a different size than the front.

Take this picture back to the place that mounted the tires and have them do it right.

If you have a torgue wrench take it along and have them check there torque settings. The nuts should be torqued to 100# per FSM

Junk's picture shows that the tires are directional and therefor if they are mounted on the rims correctly and the rims are mounted according to the information on there inside they should be right. Also make sure they have not mixed the front and rear rims. Again they are two different sizes

Now if he has a Z07 all wheels are the same size. 9.5 x 17, however they are still marked as to which corner they belong!

tcxd40

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post

Thank you for the pic, this really helps alot. I will call the place tomorrow and take it back and have them re-mounted. I noticed today that at least one of the tires is not balaced quite right either. My front and back tires are different sizes, so I know I don't have a ZO7..

Corvette(s)

I talked to the shop who installed the tires today. I have an appointment Saturday morning to correct this problem. Thank you for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast