Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Corvette(s)

Default Pulls to left or right when braking

My 89 likes to pull to the left or right sometimes when I'm braking. It done that since I've had it. When it does this sometimes, it will try to turn the steering wheel a good quarter a turn.

I had the brake fluid flushed over a year ago. A few months ago, I gravity flushed the brake fluid. I put a couple of bottles of break fluid through the lines.

I did read up on it. And it looks like most people who have this problem. It either pulls to the left or right. But for me, it can pull in either direction.

Could this be an alignment problem?

tonylong

I have this too - I wanna learn more. Mine also drifts left or right if I remove hands off the wheel.

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tonylong View Post
    I have this too - I wanna learn more. Mine also drifts left or right if I remove hands off the wheel.
    Since mine does it both left and right. I'm guessing either an alignment problem. But I'm thinking not as it drives pretty straight.

Or something with the front suspension. I do know the upper ball joint on the driver side has a split in the boot. I stuck my finger in there, and grease was in there though.

I did read of someone saying to jack up the car. And see if you can wiggle the wheels. As it could be the wheel bearings.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

"Pulling" under braking can be caused by a variety of issues...

1) Differential traction, caused by road surface or stuff (ice, water, oil, dirt) on the road
    2) Front end alignment
    3) Tires
    4) Worn suspension or steering parts.

If the car pulls either way with no particular pattern to when it pulls which way, I'd be looking at #1 or #4.

Corvette(s)
    1974, 1990 ZR1, 1992 ZR1, 1996 CE Roadster

While I agree with Hib, don't forget to check the rear suspension condition and alignment too. Had a 97 in here a couple months ago the owner had aligned at a company Firestone store and they only did the front. Car was so spooky over 60mph no one wanted to drive it. Kinda had the same symptom as it never did the same thing twice but with a 4 wheel alignment it's a Vette again.

Does the brake problem show up at low speed, high speed or all the time? If the alignment checks out or does not cure the problem, it may be time for calipers and hoses.

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex S View Post
    While I agree with Hib, don't forget to check the rear suspension condition and alignment too. Had a 97 in here a couple months ago the owner had aligned at a company Firestone store and they only did the front. Car was so spooky over 60mph no one wanted to drive it. Kinda had the same symptom as it never did the same thing twice but with a 4 wheel alignment it's a Vette again.

Does the brake problem show up at low speed, high speed or all the time? If the alignment checks out or does not cure the problem, it may be time for calipers and hoses.
    I know it does it at slow speed. Not sure if it does it at high speed. Will have to drive it more.

It doesn't do it all the time. I know the calipers and hoses could be a problem. But from what I've read. Those tend to be the problem if the steering only pulls to the same side.

I wonder if it could be the rotors?

Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Quote Originally Posted by Rex S View Post
    While I agree with Hib, don't forget to check the rear suspension condition and alignment too. (snip)
    Silly me!
    That's a darn good point, "Rex S."

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    "Pulling" under braking can be caused by a variety of issues...

1) Differential traction, caused by road surface or stuff (ice, water, oil, dirt) on the road
    2) Front end alignment
    3) Tires
    4) Worn suspension or steering parts.

If the car pulls either way with no particular pattern to when it pulls which way, I'd be looking at #1 or #4.
    #1 could be a part of it. But I'm betting the culprit is something else, which could actually make #1 worse than what it would be.

So, that means probably #4. Could it also be warped brake rotors? I've also heard it could be the front wheel bearings. But I think I checked that last time I had it jacked.

Is this something where you just start replacing parts till the problem goes away? I'll probably get an alignment done first to see what that does.

Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

I doubt "warped" rotors would not cause the pullling side-to-side you're having.

I would not "just start replacing parts 'till the problem goes away." That can get very expensive. I'd diagnose the problem first, then replace parts as necessary.

Before you do the algnment, inspect the suspension and steering systems for excessively worn or otherwise faulty parts.

Corvette(s)
    1987 Red Coupe (Z52) 1989 Red Coupe (MN6 Z51 FX3)

I had this problem on my 87. Turned out the ABS module (located behind the driver seat) was bad. Replaced it with a second hand unit and problem cleared up. Not saying this is THE problem you have, but add it to the list of things to consider.

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    I doubt "warped" rotors would not cause the pullling side-to-side you're having.

I would not "just start replacing parts 'till the problem goes away." That can get very expensive. I'd diagnose the problem first, then replace parts as necessary.

Before you do the algnment, inspect the suspension and steering systems for excessively worn or otherwise faulty parts.
    I went out there and looked. I don't notice anything looking worn. The PO did replace the front shocks. They are red in color. But the lower ball joint, tie rod boot look fine. I had the engine running, it was jacked up, and I turned the actual wheels back and forth and didn't notice anything odd.

I've got an oil change coupon for a shop I've been to before. And it has something where they'll look at what ever problem you have. But the steering and suspension check over is apart of the $20 oil change. So, I'll have them look it over and tell them what is going on.

Though, I'm thinking it is an alignment problem. I went out and drove it again. And I noticed the steering pulling when I was driving over bad roads. But everything was fine on the fresh paved roads. So, I'm thinking when the wheel turns when I'm braking, it doesn't have anything to do with the brakes. But that the steering was probably turning anyways and was just more noticable cause I was braking. Probably in a rut. It has always been real darty. Though last I drove it, I couldn't get the wheel to turn when I braked.

Is the bottom of the wheels suposed to be turned inward? I've noticed when I jack the front end up, the bottom of the wheel will pull out like it is turned inward at the bottom. But that would be an alignment thing.

Corvette(s)
    2008 vert 6M silver

Quote Originally Posted by RacerAlex View Post
    I had this problem on my 87. Turned out the ABS module (located behind the driver seat) was bad. Replaced it with a second hand unit and problem cleared up. Not saying this is THE problem you have, but add it to the list of things to consider.
    This occurred on my 87 also .After reading the problem issue it's one of the first places I'd look.

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vett boy View Post
    This occurred on my 87 also .After reading the problem issue it's one of the first places I'd look.
    If you pull the ABS fuse. And the problem is still there. Then that would rule out the ABS, correct? I know mine self checks itself. And I've never had an ABS light come on. Though, I'm thinking mine is something else since I noticed the wheel turning while driving down bad roads. So, I think that rules out the braking system.

Corvette(s)
    2008 vert 6M silver

Sounds like you have roads like Maine ,some good ,some bad. May I ask how many miles you've got on the beast ?

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vett boy View Post
    Sounds like you have roads like Maine ,some good ,some bad. May I ask how many miles you've got on the beast ?
    91k.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast