Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1991 red L98

Default fuel injector cleaner

1991 L98, 21,000 miles,six speed manual. is it safe to use fuel injector cleaner in the gas for these autos, i have read that it may damage the fuel injectors?

surfer93

Do not use any that have ethanol in them, older FI cars are not made to stand up to it. Ethenol breaksdown o-rings and wears out the FI's internals faster.
    Look on the internet, there was a guy who did a article about GM Multitec injectors and what ethanol does to them.

Other than that, I have used them for years w/no side effects.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by stratinik View Post
    1991 L98, 21,000 miles,six speed manual. is it safe to use fuel injector cleaner in the gas for these autos, i have read that it may damage the fuel injectors?
    It's best to use Chevron Techron Plus!! You'll have No Problems!!

Our Fuels: Fuel Additives: Techron Concentrate Plus
    junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    2002 C5 Coupe

I have been told that BK44, Is the best to use, 1987 C-4, What do you think??

Corvette(s)
    91 White Coupe

I wouldn't bother. They are designed to separate a rube from his money.

Here is a good analogy. I shut you in a gym and turn out all the lights. Here is a broom. Go clean it. How clean do you think you can get it? How can you be sure what you have swept and what you haven't?

IMO, if you think your injectors are dirty, take them out and have them cleaned and tested. That way you will know they are working. Say you do them every 30K, you should be fine. Have them professionally done by FIC or Southbay and they will test them and if they are dirty, clean them and get them flowing at the prescribed rate.

Corvette(s)
    1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
    It's best to use Chevron Techron Plus!! You'll have No Problems!!

Our Fuels: Fuel Additives: Techron Concentrate Plus
    LISTEN TO JUNKIE, and I'll back him up on this GM RECOMMENDED this stuff for use in GM vehicles. Ford for a time also recommended this stuff, I personally use the Chevron, but b/c we sell it at my dealership and I have seen how good BG k44 is I am going to try it. I have not doubts about the quality of BG products, I have witnessed the excellent results first hand.

Corvette(s)
    '90 LT 5

What makes you think the injectors are dirty? What's goin' on?

Corvette(s)
    1996 Polo Green LT1 Coupe

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions about the Lucas fuel injector cleaner?

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th (+V Wagon & Volt)

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa Corvette Guy View Post
    I have been told that BK44, Is the best to use, 1987 C-4, What do you think??
    I believe this should be BG 44K. I use it annually in my cars to keep the system clean.

BG Company

Corvette(s)
    91 White Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by air1jpg View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions about the Lucas fuel injector cleaner?
    Great for separating you from your money. How good a job it will do is unknown and how much you need is also unknown. How good your injectors are is also unknown. How consistent the flow is also unknown. What is known is your wallet will be lighter. All of which can be known by removing and testing them.

Corvette(s)
    91 White Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    I believe this should be BG 44K. I use it annually in my cars to keep the system clean.

BG Company
    I used diesel fuel to keep my injectors clean on my diesel car. Worked for 100K until the test discovered that one injector was dirty.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner, Chevron Techron and Lucas Fuel System Cleaner are all detergent-based, injector cleaners.

They are more effective than any of the less-expensive, solvent-based products on the market.

Corvette(s)
    91 White Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner, Chevron Techron and Lucas Fuel System Cleaner are all detergent-based, injector cleaners.

They are more effective than any of the less-expensive, solvent-based products on the market.
    Has any double blind test proved that?

Corvette(s)
    1990 convertible, red/tan/tan, 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by stratinik View Post
    Are the injectors original?

Scott

tdr1919

with 21k, you really have no mileage, sounds like this car doesnt get much use. I would put a tank of Mobil hi test and a dose of techtron. you may also want to buy a can of throttle body cleaner. Give a good liberal spraying. change the fuel filter if it hasnt been changed in a while. Mobil+ techtron get everything clean and dry any moisture. Some do not believe these products are helpful, but if you tear down a 20+ yr old topend you will be suprised of the buildup of crud, carbon and varnish, wipe a little techtron and see how it removes all that stuff. maybe you can go 100k without ever cleaning, but I sure feel better with it being cleaned up. JMHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast