Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New intake for crossfire = more HP!!!!

Corvette(s)
    84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black

Default New intake for crossfire = more HP!!!!

There is another intake soon to be released and I am not talking about the x-ram or the sy1 or the offy. It is made by "dynamic crossfire solutions" and it is called the "renegade". They are in the final stages befor releasing it. I have seen photos of it on the crossfire injection forum. They have not yet shown pictures of the inside of the intake, but it is a true cross ram design according to this company. They just want to tweek it to squeeze maximum power out of it before they release it.

Corvette(s)
    1984 C4 DOB 01/13/1983

Quote Originally Posted by nelson84 View Post
    There is another intake soon to be released and I am not talking about the x-ram or the sy1 or the offy. It is made by "dynamic crossfire solutions" and it is called the "renegade". They are in the final stages befor releasing it. I have seen photos of it on the crossfire injection forum. They have not yet shown pictures of the inside of the intake, but it is a true cross ram design according to this company. They just want to tweek it to squeeze maximum power out of it before they release it.
    Hey you caught my interest here....... Where is this article and you need to link it......link the pictures! http://www.crossfireinjection.net/DCS%20News.html here's the link to that site
    1984 Corvette C4 coupe with original CFI 350 V8 under the hood 163,500 miles on the engine and turbo 700-r4

" bortaS blr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay' "

Corvette(s)
    Stingray

I'd worry about being on the bleeding edge of development. Let a couple dozen other folks work through the problems that will almost certainly develop. Also remember that other factors figure into the HP equation in the early 80's, namely compression, tuning, etc. With only 205 HP, there is lots of potential in the L83, but it will take going through the whole motor to unlock it, starting with the cam, if you open up the intake. I loved the L83, but it's cheaper to replace it than modding it. . But then again, modding is what lots of us like to do.

Corvette(s)

They dynoed this intake on a stock 82 vette. They got a 33 hp increase and 16 lbs/ft at the rear wheels, this works out to be about 50 hp at the engine. Now you have a 255 hp crossfire and add some decent heads 280 hp. K&N, pulleys, plugs, wires, headers, cam, some decent gears. It should end up being a little more respectable in the corvette hobby, no morecrossfire. You might even be able to take it to the track without hiding your time slips in your pocket.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Actually 33 at the wheels is (figuring 18% loss in the C3/C4 powertrain) 40 at the flywheel. You've spent probably a ton of money and development time for 40 horses....and at 245 you're right where a stock TPI engine can be. I think nitrous oxide would have been a lot easier.

I don't know why people keep trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Any low cross ram manifold has never worked on the street. Too much plenum volume and too low intake velocity such that, sure, you get a lot of power and a sharp torque peak but lousy driveability and no low end.

At the time GM did that, it didn't have big throttle body injectors and port injection was still 2-3 years in the future so some fool, who must have been looking at old SCCA Trans-Am engines, got the hots for a 2x4 TBI on a cross ram.

Bad idea.

Once protos were running they found out what others knew back in the 60s that low-rise cross rams don't work on the street.

The solution....they made the ports freakin' tiny to get the velocity up. A pal of mine, who used to work at GM for Herb Fishel's old group told me that he knew two engineers who paid for new homes with the overtime it took to get that system to run right and pass emissions.

The smartest thing you can do is convert L83s to TPI or some of the large port/large plenum aftermarket port injection systems.

On the other hand, I well-understand the cultural attraction of having 2xTBI, 3x2bbl, 2x4bbl or two or three of anything on top of your engine (I admit to be a recovering dual-four-barrel carb addict) and, if the goal is to keep those two nasty looking throttle bodys and have horsepower, as long as your willing to give up a good torque curve, any low cross ram with big ports will make power!

Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    ...On the other hand, I well-understand the cultural attraction of having 2xTBI, 3x2bbl, 2x4bbl or two or three of anything on top of your engine (I admit to be a recovering dual-four-barrel carb addict) and, if the goal is to keep those two nasty looking throttle bodys and have horsepower, as long as your willing to give up a good torque curve, any low cross ram with big ports will make power!
    Hib- cross rams and or duals/multiples (3x2, 2x4, 8x1, 4x2) are just plain cool. I'd love to have a dual plenum TPI... for the looks alone.
    1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    CFI | Dynamic EFI EBL | .465" / .488" cam

1995 Trans Am
    1 of 1 Trans Am | 100% documented | RPOs 48U, MN6, and GU6

Corvette(s)

Actually 33 at the wheels is (figuring 18% loss in the C3/C4 powertrain) 40 at the flywheel. You've spent probably a ton of money and development time for 40 horses....and at 245 you're right where a stock TPI engine can be. I think nitrous oxide would have been a lot easier.

Any low cross ram manifold has never worked on the street. Too much plenum volume and too low intake velocity such that, sure, you get a lot of power and a sharp torque peak but lousy driveability and no low end.

At the time GM did that, it didn't have big throttle body injectors and port injection was still 2-3 years in the future so some fool, who must have been looking at old SCCA Trans-Am engines, got the hots for a 2x4 TBI on a cross ram.

Bad idea.

Once protos were running they found out what others knew back in the 60s that low-rise cross rams don't work on the street.

The solution....they made the ports freakin' tiny to get the velocity up. A pal of mine, who used to work at GM for Herb Fishel's old group told me that he knew two engineers who paid for new homes with the overtime it took to get that system to run right and pass emissions.

The smartest thing you can do is convert L83s to TPI or some of the large port/large plenum aftermarket port injection systems.

On the other hand, I well-understand the cultural attraction of having 2xTBI, 3x2bbl, 2x4bbl or two or three of anything on top of your engine (I admit to be a recovering dual-four-barrel carb addict) and, if the goal is to keep those two nasty looking throttle bodys and have horsepower, as long as your willing to give up a good torque curve, any low cross ram with big ports will make power!
    No low end??????????? Have you ever looked at a dyno sheet from a crossfire???????? The torque peaks at 2100 rpm and continues to taper off because GM filled the ports in with metal and made them smaller to reduce power to make the TPI look more impressive. This new intake solves the problems that GM screwed up on purpose. I wouldn't convert to TPI it costs to much. Besides I own a TPI as well as my crossfire. The TPI setup isn't exactly impressive.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Quote Originally Posted by nelson84 View Post
    No low end??????????? Have you ever looked at a dyno sheet from a crossfire???????? The torque peaks at 2100 rpm and continues to taper off (snip)
    I never said that a torque curve from a stock or near stock L83 is reasonably flat. I was talking about what happes when you go to an intake with larger port volume.

because GM filled the ports in with metal and made them smaller to reduce power to make the TPI look more impressive.
    Come on "Nelson84"...what you smoking, dude? To "make TPI look more impressive" is not why the L83 intake manifold is restrictive.

This new intake solves the problems that GM screwed up on purpose.
    First, it was not a case of GM having screwed up
    "on purpose." It was a case of that the early prototypes, which flowed more air and made more power, ran poorly on the street--lousy driveability, flacid throttle response, poor economy and exhaust emissions troubles. To eliminate those issues, GM had to decrease the port volume by a bunch.

As for this new intake "solving" those "problems"---if we look at those "problems" in the narrow focus of maximum power, then you are correct. In fact, I'll bet once the engine begins to turn some rpm and the flow velocity gets up there, if you can get enough fuel through those TBIs, the increase will be substantial!

The TPI setup isn't exactly impressive.
    Ok...for the sake of discussion, let's say that's true. Then--why didn't tens of thousands of people who owned 85-91 Corvettes, Camaros and Firebirds, convert them to 2xTBIs on modified L83 intake manifolds rather than retaining those unimpressive TPI units, then modifying them?

My point here is that, yes, you can go to an intake manifold with greater port volume and, yes, that can increase airflow into the engine. Add more fuel with different injectors and/or a calibration change and you will have an engine that produces more power...perhaps even a lot more power.

But...you still can't violate the laws of physics and the principles by which intake systems work.

Cross-ram intake manifolds don't work very well on engines which need to have broad torque curves, snappy throttle response and good low speed performance. This is why they've been very rare on road cars.

Admittedly, my diatribe on this ain't going to get me on any 82 or 84 owner's Christmas Card list, but so it goes...

Corvette(s)
    Stingray

Christmas lists are over-rated.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)
    2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !

I never said that a torque curve from a stock or near stock L83 is reasonably flat. I was talking about what happes when you go to an intake with larger port volume.

Come on "Nelson84"...what you smoking, dude? To "make TPI look more impressive" is not why the L83 intake manifold is restrictive.

First, it was not a case of GM having screwed up
    "on purpose." It was a case of that the early prototypes, which flowed more air and made more power, ran poorly on the street--lousy driveability, flacid throttle response, poor economy and exhaust emissions troubles. To eliminate those issues, GM had to decrease the port volume by a bunch.

As for this new intake "solving" those "problems"---if we look at those "problems" in the narrow focus of maximum power, then you are correct. In fact, I'll bet once the engine begins to turn some rpm and the flow velocity gets up there, if you can get enough fuel through those TBIs, the increase will be substantial!

Ok...for the sake of discussion, let's say that's true. Then--why didn't tens of thousands of people who owned 85-91 Corvettes, Camaros and Firebirds, convert them to 2xTBIs on modified L83 intake manifolds rather than retaining those unimpressive TPI units, then modifying them?

My point here is that, yes, you can go to an intake manifold with greater port volume and, yes, that can increase airflow into the engine. Add more fuel with different injectors and/or a calibration change and you will have an engine that produces more power...perhaps even a lot more power.

But...you still can't violate the laws of physics and the principles by which intake systems work.

Cross-ram intake manifolds don't work very well on engines which need to have broad torque curves, snappy throttle response and good low speed performance. This is why they've been very rare on road cars.

Admittedly, my diatribe on this ain't going to get me on any 82 or 84 owner's Christmas Card list, but so it goes...
    I just am about finishing a price list on parts and labor to do some real upgrade work on my 84. Problem is once you total it all up, I've got 245 HP, maybe and I've spent enough to buy a 1992 to 94 Corvette in decent condition and with maybe only a polish job or new paint to deal with. And no, I don't want to reinvent the wheel with this project, but that is about what it amounts to. Converting to TPI isn't exactly cheap route to go either. Merry Christmas everyone !

Corvette(s)

Happy holidays, I have to be politically correct or its banned camp for me.

The whole point of this thread is to let 82 and 84 owners know about this new intake and sorry for adding in the power improvements. The more people interested, the cheap they will price it. Any purists out there and anti-crossfire people cover your eyes.

Direct replacement and 33 rear wheel HP.

Please don't pick on me
    cjericsen likes this.

Corvette(s)
    1984 Z51 Silver/Gray & as Much SS & CFibre we find

Ha! If you're satisfied with TPI like performance (actually a little more) for LESS money that switching to TPI then it seems to be a bargain.
    I'm wondering if Dave Emmanuel was ghost writing that bit for Hib? :-P
    People claim the CFI cant possibly be improved to be a performer BUT Vette Magazine ran one article in June 1997 proving Emmanuel and Hib wrong. Almost 400hp and 12.76 at 109.9 mph with stock CFI.
    Anything CAN be done...its just how much $ you want to spend.
    This new intake seems promising in that its a low cost solution for more power.

BTW, didnt physicists originally claim a helicopter couldnt fly, or that the A Bomb would ignite the atmosphere and destroy the world? So much for science, eh?

Corvette(s)
    1982 Collector Edition

snip

snip
    I have no dog in this discussion, i am planning to stay with my L-83, but i didnt know i was riding a turnip.. Thanks for the laugh Hib, yer still on my Christmas List..

-Stefan

Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6

Quote Originally Posted by killain View Post
    ... Converting to TPI isn't exactly cheap route to go either...
    Well, it can be done relatively easy with the help of ebay. I pieced my TPI together for around < $1300 and that includes SLP runners. With the economy in the tubes right now, this may be the best time to acquire parts from ebay because they will be cheap- no one is bidding!

Really, the Ram Jet is the best bang for the buck. 350hp out of the box. What you spend in dollars you make up in time-it is complete down to the harness and ECM.
    1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    CFI | Dynamic EFI EBL | .465" / .488" cam

1995 Trans Am
    1 of 1 Trans Am | 100% documented | RPOs 48U, MN6, and GU6

Corvette(s)
    1984 Z51 Silver/Gray & as Much SS & CFibre we find

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShark View Post
    Well, it can be done relatively easy with the help of ebay. I pieced my TPI together for around < $1300 and that includes SLP runners. With the economy in the tubes right now, this may be the best time to acquire parts from ebay because they will be cheap- no one is bidding!

Really, the Ram Jet is the best bang for the buck. 350hp out of the box. What you spend in dollars you make up in time-it is complete down to the harness and ECM.

Yeah but thats STILL more $ for the same performance....IF the new dynamic solutions manifold is reasonably priced...say $500-700. Thats reasonable for picking up 50 HP.
    Granted, like you said TPI can be enhanced further than CFI at a good value but it all depends how much power you do want and the $,effort and skill involved.

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast