Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1987 red convertable

Default 87 vette no start

87 vette will not start unless I manualy advance timing by turning distributer 1/8 turn then must retard to keep it running but it will (ping) at this setting under hard acceleration . after shut down must repeat this procedur to restart. runns fine ,dont think timing chain has slipped valve timing seems to be ok runs to good for chain to have jumped a tooth have checked all wireing from ignition to ecm and to esc have replaced ecm,esc, knock sensor ,ignition module and e-prom am thinking of installing vacume advance distributer anyone have any ideas or should I just part it out

Corvette(s)
    1987 red convertable

appleton wisconsin wont start if timing is set to factory specs ,has electronic advance /retard was thinking of installing vacume advance distributer if I cant overcome this

Corvette(s)
    1987 red convertable

all grounds are ok

Corvette(s)
    2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !

Quote Originally Posted by jeff eggert View Post
    all grounds are ok
    I have to agree with Jeff, Bad grounding is a problem not often found in late model corvettes, but it is a often overlooked problem. Early C-2 corvettes had this problem the worst. I had a 59 roadster that I learned much about automotive electricity from. An 87 is twenty years old and the ground straps often are subject to corrsion from all the water and dirt piled up over all those years. just my 0.02, good luck!

Corvette(s)
    1990 red convert 6 sp

How many miles are on the engine? I don't know if GM still used the nylon coated timing gears in those yrs but if they did and you have high mileage I would bet on the timing chain having jumped or the damper ring having moved. If the damper had moved you wouldn't get the pinging under load.Put a vacuum gauge on it with the timing set at the factory specs. If vacuum is low suspect the cam timing.

Glenn

Corvette(s)
    1987 red convertable

I heave had car for 3 years am using ALLDATA.com for information ,specs no codes I talked with a (old time mechanic) 40 years with GM truck dealership he says he hasent seen a small block chevytiming chain jump a tooth sincethey stopped using nylon cam gears in the 60s says chain would have to stretch about 1 1/2 inches to do it unfortunletly he doesnt know much about the electronics on these newfangeled cars the advance/redard isnt working have checked all wireing replaced all modules that have anything to do with ignition system all voltages are at factory specs its a real mystery was hoping someone here might be able to help cant afford to take it to dealer and give them blank check know what I mean? thanks to all who have tryed to help -jeff

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mailmaninvette View Post
    Try checking your timing marks by bringing #1 to TDC like you
    would do to install the dist . Check the grounds ? Is this
    Appleton NY ? Have you checked your vacuum
    How about this, have you tried to bring the engine to TDC, and then set the dist. in so it's set on number one, and tried to start it? You didn't say you that this : if this happered because of ? Did you install or replace something? If so did you reassemble in the right order? If you could provide some more info maybe we could help out better. I only have a Haynes manual at hand, but the proceedure for starting is very simple, but you need to check the distributor cap and all the connectors, set it for no.1 TDC and install. If it won't continue to run there could be a problem with leaking intake manifold gaskets? or a bad dist. cap OR you could have a fuel issue. BTW. Is ther enough gas in the tank that the fuel pump can pick it up? I know this sound crazy, but I'm trying be helpful.

Corvette(s)

TDC of the #1 piston not going by the timing marks , worth a try .
    No, there is no reason to believe the timing chain is bad or that you have jumped the timing. Use the marks and reset the distributor just like your putting the engine together for the first time. but watch the position of the rotor and see if it points to the left front of the engine. The left most front spark plug wire is No. 1 cylinder. It should be able to install the distributor and fire up the engine, if not then there's another cause. It may not run well, but it should start.

Corvette(s)
    1990 red convert 6 sp

Not sure if this would cause it to not start . Have you checked the EGR valve? Maybe has chunk of carbon stuck under the seat.

Glenn

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G Winter View Post
    If the damper had moved you wouldn't get the pinging under load.

The facts.
    The engine starts with a certain spark advance (when he sets it manually ) and runs at another setting.This rules out anything mechanical like timing chain ( steel in '87 ) or balancer.
    He is obviously not getting ECM control of the spark advance, as noted by the knock under accel.The ECM is not adjusting the spark to suit the conditions the engine is running under.
    But he has replaced all the components.
    How about the control module in the dist itself?
    Can you borrow a known working dist to try?
    FYI , you can't run a vac advance dist as it will not interface with the ECM.

Corvette(s)
    1987 red convertable

yes I nave replaced ignition control module and had it tested at Auto Zone thanks you seem to understand whats going on ,or not going on

Corvette(s)
    1987 red convertable

Any progress ?
    no ,Im thinking about parting it out .cant afford to take it to dealer and its no more than a 1 ton door stop the way it is

Corvette(s)

no ,Im thinking about parting it out .cant afford to take it to dealer and its no more than a 1 ton door stop the way it is

Why? does it have other problems that can't be fixed or are you just discusted with the repair work? It must be in OK condition for you to be working on it?

Corvette(s)
    1987 red convertable

Any progress ?
    just discusted

Corvette(s)

just discusted

Well i can only tell you when i bought my 79, it was so bad that it took two quarts of oil and a two hour drive just to get it home. Once i started working on it, it didn't need any one thing, it needed one of everything. I was overwhelmed. So I start on the one thing that would make me feel the best. I got the engine tightened up and leak free. That way no matter how bad the project was going, I could always get in and fire it up and just listen to it idle. If you break it down into "Jobs" and work one at a time you soon see progress and feel better about the whole project. I bought my car knowing 1. I was going to keep this car for awhile, and 2. I wasn't 'Investing' in a collector car. I was just restoring the car for my own pleasure. Good luck. it will be better tomarrow !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast