Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1984 Red Coupe

Default HOW TO COMPLETELY DRAIN FUEL TANK?

I had a bad tank of gas in my 1984 Vette. I siphoned out 12-13 gallons then drained fuel lines by disconnecting rubber hose at the fuel filter and drained about 1 gallon. With the fuel line open at filter, I had my wife turn the engine over for electric fuel pump to get out as much as we could before running battery down. My fuel gauge says I still have a half tank of fuel. I think the '84 is supposed to have a 20 gallon fuel tank, so I still have several gallons somewhere or gauge is wrong. Can someone tell me how I can remove all the gas without removing the fuel tank?

Corvette(s)
    1995 White Coupe LT-1 Auto

Default Very Carefully

Gas fumes will explode or burn very rapidly after settling to any low point where you are working (had the hair burnt off my legs more than once) so take precautions - no open fires, cig's, etc.. Two people are almost a necessity. And have plenty of containers to catch the liquid (10+ gallons?).
    That said, a long hose (like a 50' garden hose, but if you can get clear hose like tygon tubing it's lots easier because you can see the level), filled with any liquid (water is safer) and both ends capped (or held tightly closed with a thumb) will do the trick. Put one end of the hose as far away and low as possible - a hill with a 10' drop is ideal - remember to keep both ends closed. Release the lower end first, then plunge the upper end into the gas tank, fully to the bottom. Don't push so much hose in that the end curls up - keep the end on the bottom.
    The siphon will suck the liquid from the tank into your containers. A 50' hose will suck long after the 'air break' occurs as the tank empties and you can vacuum out the last little bit.
    Again, be safe and watch out for fumes.
    Good luck.
    PS Yes, your gauge may be leading you astray.

Corvette(s)
    1984 Red Coupe

Thanks for the reply. I siphoned all the gas I could from my '84 fuel tank. It sounded empty when the hose tapped the bottom of the tank. Is there a baffle or something in my tank that will not let the hose to a section of the tank?