Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2004 Triple Black Convertible

Default 1987 Power Antenna Issue

Hello! I have a 1987 with a power antenna issue.

The motor for the power antenna does not stop running, even when the ignition is off and the key is out. I would assume I need to replace the antenna. I’ve heard that is quite an undertaking in itself…

In the meantime does anyone know how to make the motor stop running so it does not kill my battery? I have tried pulling all sorts of fuses but can’t seem to find the right one? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Erik

Corvette(s)
    1989 Red Coupe

On a 1989, the radio fuse supplies power to the radio which is hot on acc or run. The courtesy/clock fuse supplies power to the clock in the radio and antenna relay. On the coupe, relay should be located in the left hand cargo compartment on the end panel. You will need to remove the rear hatch cover to access this relay which is located near the rear latch. The white, dark green, and gray antenna wires all feed to the antenna relay. Replacing the antenna is a royal pain. GM replacements are expensive and not the same quality. I decided to replace the radio and antenna with aftermarket parts and eliminated the need for this relay. Also installed a single pole switch to control the radio antenna signal when listening to CDs. The aftermarket radio works great even with the antenna down.

Corvette(s)
    87 Silver Coupe Way over 200k miles

The antenna unit comes out from inside the wheel well. The wiring is under the rear shade and plastic cover. The gromet in the fender un-screws from the top if I remember right.
    The power antenna is fairly simple. Since your motor is running all the time you need a new weed eater string for want of a better word. Once you get it apart you'll see what I mean. The assy. is riveted from the factory. Look through the catalogs (Eckler's, Zip, whoever you like) for a repair kit. GM used to sell them, I think most are just reboxed GM. You'll get the plasitc part with a new end and a couple of bolts to replace the rivets. Have some good grease to lube the insides up when you start. Rebuilding the antenna is the easy part getting the thing in and out is kind of a a pain. I've had a couple of this style apart and the repair kit fixed both of them. Last one I got was about $20. If you take it anywhere they'll want to sell you a new unit for @$150
    Make sure you get the right kit. The later antennas are different.

JS

Corvette(s)
    2004 Triple Black Convertible

Thanks! Both of the posts were very helpful. I was able to disconnect the correct wires so the battery didn’t die… the taillights were still working and the radio still played!

I took a look at what it was going to take to replace it… thought about the other little items that were starting to add up… took it in for an inspection today and ended up leaving with a 2004!

Thanks again for your help.

Erik