Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    D.O.Dug

Default 94 with the stutterin' stumbles

Hi Y'all

So here's the deal... driving up a moderate grade about 1/4 mile long...accellerating but not hard... SPUT....SPUT... STUMBLE..! Off the gas thinking "WTF?" then all is cool... smooth going up the rest of the hill. 5 more miles home with no problems. No warning lites, shifts are smooth, idles & starts fine - full tank - new f/filter.

I'm thinking poss. fuel pump? Would this show a code if it were the pump? (haven't had time to check). or is it just "the ghost in the machine"?

Corvette(s)
    1990 conv. 2003 conv. 1977 coupe

run a pressure test

Corvette(s)
    '96 Torch Red LT4

My money is on a clogged fuel filter.

Gone but not forgotten John Robinson's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1993 Polo Green Coupe

If this started after you filled the tank then I would suspect water in the gas. Just for fun put a couple of cans of dry gas in and see what happens.

D.O.Dug

Thanx, guys. F. filter is 2 wks old so I doubt that's the culprit. I'll run a bottle of Techron thru it next & check for any codes - stay tuned.

Corvette(s)

Try running Seafoam per the instructions. Do a search it is the only quick fix that most believe has some merit.

Corvette(s)
    96 LT4 Polo Green/Light Beige Interior

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.Dug View Post
    Thanx, guys. F. filter is 2 wks old so I doubt that's the culprit. I'll run a bottle of Techron thru it next & check for any codes - stay tuned.
    Short write-up on injector cleaner, 85’s-96’s.

Fuel Injection Service.
    Chris Petris, Corvette Clinic.

“I recommend annual injector cleaning on all ’85-’88 cars. These cars use either Bosch or Lucas injectors. The injectors sit deeper in the intake manifold than ’89-and-up injectors, so they build up deposits more frequently. You can purchase 3M injector cleaner that is for one-time usage. Remove the fuel pump fuse and fuel cap. Follow the instructions on the hose and hook it to the can. Install the injector cleaner on the fuel rail on the right side below the vacuum fittings at the pressure port. Follow the instructions on the can to use.

Multec injectors were present on all ’89-’96 Corvettes. These are self-cleaning disc injectors. The injector windings are cooled with fuel, so a harsh injector cleaner will damage the windings and short out the injector.”

B17Crew

D.O.Dug

Thanx, key west but I'm with B17 on this one. Techron is the only thing I use with later-model fuel injectors for one simple reason - it works! I'm thinking it may be a fuel delivery issue, though. Did it again yesterday - going up an overpass onto the frwy. - stumbled a few times, then smoothed out. OK the next 25 miles home. It acts like what us geezers used to experience in the days of carburators - "vapor lock" - caused by the fuel line passing too close to the exhaust maniforld & the fuel boiling in the fuel line, making the engine stumble (or not start when it got too hot). I'll keep a eye on it - if it's fuel crud, it'll go away - if not, it'll get worse. Hard to fix it when it won't stay broke!

Corvette(s)

Thanx, key west but I'm with B17 on this one. Techron is the only thing I use with later-model fuel injectors for one simple reason - it works! I'm thinking it may be a fuel delivery issue, though. Did it again yesterday - going up an overpass onto the frwy. - stumbled a few times, then smoothed out. OK the next 25 miles home. It acts like what us geezers used to experience in the days of carburators - "vapor lock" - caused by the fuel line passing too close to the exhaust maniforld & the fuel boiling in the fuel line, making the engine stumble (or not start when it got too hot). I'll keep a eye on it - if it's fuel crud, it'll go away - if not, it'll get worse. Hard to fix it when it won't stay broke!

I hate it when somthing lingers. I comes back to remind you that you STILL have a pain in the ass. Kinda like an exwife.

D.O.Dug

.....you got one of those too, huh? Thing is, you can always SELL the 'Vette....

Corvette(s)
    1996 Polo Green Coupe

Don't sell the Vette, it's the one thing that really gets on the ex's nerves. Preliminary studies indicate it may even shorten their life expectencies!

Corvette(s)
    1994 C4 Black on Black 6 speed

Hi Y'all

So here's the deal... driving up a moderate grade about 1/4 mile long...accellerating but not hard... SPUT....SPUT... STUMBLE..! Off the gas thinking "WTF?" then all is cool... smooth going up the rest of the hill. 5 more miles home with no problems. No warning lites, shifts are smooth, idles & starts fine - full tank - new f/filter.

I'm thinking poss. fuel pump? Would this show a code if it were the pump? (haven't had time to check). or is it just "the ghost in the machine"?
    Mine does the exact same thing along with a surging idle after it gets hot. Been working on this one for a while. I'll be monitoring this post to see if some one comes up with anything different to try to narrow down this problem. It seems this happens a lot. I've read a lot of posts concerning this same issue with suggestions from vacume leak, bad plugs and wires, impending opti failure, bad ECM, EGR clogging, etc, etc. Could be a combination of of these issues or just one.

D.O.Dug

Well, no codes found. Hasn't done it for the last 75 miles...hmmmmmm

Seems to be evident when the weather is warmer. Got some hot temps due here next week - we'll see

Corvette(s)
    1994 C4 Black on Black 6 speed

Well, just removed the IAC and cleaned it up and the orafic it goes into and did a reset. There was some build up, but not a lot. Seems to be idling smoother. Got to take a long trip tomorrow. Let's see what happens.

Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6

Hi Y'all

Could be Opti-Spark too. My 1994 Formula ran like garbage because of its Opti-Spark. There was some condensation inside the unit and it scattered the signal- hence it seemed to sputter and miss.

If you've changed the thermostat recently and coolant dripped down across the distributor- chances are it is the Opti-Spark unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast