Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!


Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    17
    Corvette(s)
    1995, C4, coupe

    Default New stereo for my C4 instead of stock bose

    Hi!
    What kind of stereo can I build in my C4 (1995) instead of stock bose(damaged)?!
    Does every double din stereo pass there?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    83
    Corvette(s)
    1984 Bright Red Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vuk8691 View Post
    Hi!
    What kind of stereo can I build in my C4 (1995) instead of stock bose(damaged)?!
    Does every double din stereo pass there?
    Depth is you issue. Unless you want to modify the dash. I suggest the Pioneer slim depth units. Sound great. Will work with IPOD, cd and have remote.

  3. #3
    Member bogus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Pedro, CA
    Posts
    35
    Corvette(s)
    1992 Polo Green Coupe

    Default

    I will be honest, I don't like double din head units. $$ for $$, they are overpriced and under featured.

    Most single din will work fine with an install kit. Metra makes one now, as does a company in AZ (I will have to look them up).

    Whatever you do, remove and gut all the bose junk. A new head unit won't make the old blose speakers sound any better.

    Depth isn't much of an issue with a single din. The install kits bring the unit down to the sweet spot. I have an Alpine 7998 installed in my 92, and it fits perfectly.

  4. #4
    Member SPANISHVETTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    El puerto de Santa Maria Spain
    Posts
    2,083
    Corvette(s)
    before 60,63&82 now 90 383 Stroker & 91 ZR1-Sold

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bogus View Post
    I will be honest, I don't like double din head units. $$ for $$, they are overpriced and under featured.

    Most single din will work fine with an install kit. Metra makes one now, as does a company in AZ (I will have to look them up).

    Whatever you do, remove and gut all the bose junk. A new head unit won't make the old blose speakers sound any better.

    Depth isn't much of an issue with a single din. The install kits bring the unit down to the sweet spot. I have an Alpine 7998 installed in my 92, and it fits perfectly.
    Yelp, You can get a really nice mp3 single din for less than $250. I put a Sony with hidden face panel in Thunder after the Fosgate was stolen.
    šTo be or to do? Which way will you go?" Col John Boyd

    www.SPEED-KARTS.com
    www.racing-engineering.com

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    glendale, az
    Posts
    338
    Corvette(s)
    1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE

    Default

    Ok so what are some good speakers to replace the BOSE ones with ?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    83
    Corvette(s)
    1984 Bright Red Coupe

    Default

    That is kinda like asking what is the best brand of bottled water. Everyone has their own opinion. With that said, I will offer my opinion.

    I put in Infinity speakers. I have an older C4. (84) So different speaker locations. I put 4X6 plates in the dash. 6 1/2 in doors and 6X9 in rear. The Infinity are about $75 per pair. Have great, Crisp, sound.

    If I had unlimited funds. I would have put in MB Quart's Will run up to $500 per pair.

  7. #7
    Member SPANISHVETTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    El puerto de Santa Maria Spain
    Posts
    2,083
    Corvette(s)
    before 60,63&82 now 90 383 Stroker & 91 ZR1-Sold

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sriat View Post
    That is kinda like asking what is the best brand of bottled water. Everyone has their own opinion. With that said, I will offer my opinion.

    I put in Infinity speakers. I have an older C4. (84) So different speaker locations. I put 4X6 plates in the dash. 6 1/2 in doors and 6X9 in rear. The Infinity are about $75 per pair. Have great, Crisp, sound.

    If I had unlimited funds. I would have put in MB Quart's Will run up to $500 per pair.
    Yelp - only your own ear knows what it likes.
    I also went with Infinity for the front speakers but I went with JBLs setup like Subs in the rear. (I grew up in the 50s-60s, am 1/2 deaf and love a tight bottom end.) The rear speaker enclosure has lots of room to play with.
    šTo be or to do? Which way will you go?" Col John Boyd

    www.SPEED-KARTS.com
    www.racing-engineering.com

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    600
    Corvette(s)
    2005 Coupe, black over black

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sriat View Post
    That is kinda like asking what is the best brand of bottled water. Everyone has their own opinion. With that said, I will offer my opinion.

    I put in Infinity speakers. I have an older C4. (84) So different speaker locations. I put 4X6 plates in the dash. 6 1/2 in doors and 6X9 in rear. The Infinity are about $75 per pair. Have great, Crisp, sound.

    If I had unlimited funds. I would have put in MB Quart's Will run up to $500 per pair.
    I did the exact same thing, the same speakers, and the sound on the Infinitis is crystal clear. My HU is the pioneer 1.5 din DEHP77DH and I'm using an Alpine multi-channel amp in the rear storage bin to drive all six speakers. Sounds great, even with no subwoofer.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    glendale, az
    Posts
    338
    Corvette(s)
    1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE

    Default

    Like spanishvette I am a child of the 60's from northern calif, just wondering what type of infinitis and the JBL's did you use ?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    83
    Corvette(s)
    1984 Bright Red Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmhowe View Post
    Like spanishvette I am a child of the 60's from northern calif, just wondering what type of infinitis and the JBL's did you use ?
    Infinity Reference 9612i

    6"x9" 2-way car speakers

    Item #1089612I
    Infinity Reference 6012i

    6-1/2" 2-way car speakers
    For 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings


    Item #1086012I
    Infinity Reference 6412cfp

    4"x6" 2-way plate speakers

    Item #1086412CFP

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    glendale, az
    Posts
    338
    Corvette(s)
    1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE

    Default

    Thanx for the info, I replaced my Bose with a JVC but am still using the Bose speakers and would want more Base

Similar Threads

  1. "86 Bose Stereo Repair
    By RV Guy in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-08-05, 10:36 PM
  2. stock bose gold
    By vent69 in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-02, 12:34 AM
  3. Bose or no Bose, which do I have?
    By tom94vette in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-11-01, 07:25 AM
  4. Bose stereo
    By lunar in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-18-01, 08:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© CORVETTE is a registered trademark of the General Motors Corporation & Chevrolet Motor Division.  Neither Chevrolet Motor Division nor any subsidiaries of GM© shall bear any responsibility for CorvetteActionCenter.com content, comments, or advertising. CorvetteActionCenter.com is independent from GM© and is not affiliated with, sponsored or supported by GM©.  Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.  All Rights Reserved