Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    '73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe

Default Found a '93 6spd with "exempt" mileage title

The car looked pretty good, owner is asking 10,800. Car is showing 38,700 miles but the title says "exempt" where the mileage would be printed. Also the clutch is slipping badly. Otherwise the car looked like it did have only 38K miles.
    Think it's a scam? Any opinions on what could be going on with the title?

thanks

lone73
    '73 4 spd
    '04 6 spd

Corvette(s)
    91 vette convertible

10800.00 is not that great a buy for a 93 with about a 1000.00 worth of repairs needed. Mileage on exempt could mean any thing you may want to run a car fax to see what history the car has.
    Ron

tnovot

Quote Originally Posted by lone73
    The car looked pretty good, owner is asking 10,800. Car is showing 38,700 miles but the title says "exempt" where the mileage would be printed. Also the clutch is slipping badly. Otherwise the car looked like it did have only 38K miles.
    Think it's a scam? Any opinions on what could be going on with the title?

thanks
    Have you asked the owner why the title says that? Have you asked him how long he has held title and/or if this was the case when he bought it?
    Maybe you could check with the DMV of the state in which it is titled (Texas?) and ask if there is a certain age of vehicle after which the mileage is not recorded oin the title. Could be as simple as SOP after a vehicle reaches a certain age such as 10 years. The word exempt has a pretty clear definition and is quite different from "Unknown" or "Unavailable".

Corvette(s)
    '96 Arctic White p '73 Silver LS4 4 speed

Any vehicle titled in Oklahoma over ten years old is exempt from odometer statement. This may be the same thing here. Ask a tag agent.

Jeb
    Corvette(s)
    1987 Convertable

Quote Originally Posted by KOPBET
    Any vehicle titled in Oklahoma over ten years old is exempt from odometer statement. This may be the same thing here. Ask a tag agent.
    Isn't Texas a part of Oklahoma?

Corvette(s)
    '96 Arctic White p '73 Silver LS4 4 speed

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb
    Isn't Texas a part of Oklahoma?
    Not the whole state. Just Austin ...

Corvette(s)
    1990 red convert 6 sp

In Iowa it means the car has over 100,000 miles on it. Some states say it is beyond the limits. It is also possible that the computer controling the odometer has been changed and not set to the actual milage.
    Glenn

Corvette(s)
    1986 Coupe Silver Beige/Medium Brown Metallic

My '86 now sits with 9,700 miles on her. When I bought it from my father one year ago it only had 5,600 miles. When I went to the DMV to transfer titles the new title had EXEMPT on it. My guess is when a car hits or gets close to 20 years old they just don't care what the miles are showing. Those miles above are true and actual so I have no other idea why it says EXEMPT. I guess I should have asked BUT I was so excited about having the car it slipped my mind.

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue Z06

Quote Originally Posted by KOPBET
    This is similar to Idaho. It just means that it is an older car, nothing more.
    Save the Wave!

Corvette(s)
    '73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe

Quote Originally Posted by G Winter
    ...It is also possible that the computer controling the odometer has been changed and not set to the actual milage...
    That's kinda what I suspected also. I wondered if it is controlled by the main engine computer under the hood? It looked new. Also the computer was just a black box. I thought they were all in a ribbed aluminum case like my '96 ??

The part that bugged me the most about it was that it was claimed to have 38K miles but the car fax report showed "not actual mileage" for the last three or four times it was recorded on the report *and* the clutch was slipping badly. How does a car with 38K miles have a worn out clutch?

I pointed it out to the owner as I was test driving it and he was silent. Not a word in reply.

Corvette(s)
    '96 coupe (Torch Red), '85 4+3 coupe (flat black)

Sounds like a "TMU" car in auctionspeak (TMU - True Mileage Unknown). Most likely a rollback and/or salvage car. The odometer is controlled by the CCM, not the ECM. Take the sellers silence as a warning and pass... or offer him about $4500
    Robert Williams
    got nitrous? Get it at:
    Advanced Automotive of Cape Coral
    (239)573-9933
    www.advancedautocc.com

ASE Master Auto Technician

"There are two uniquely American vehicles that have NEVER been successfully copied: The Chevrolet Corvette, and the Harley-Davidson motorcycle. I'm fortunate enough to own both....God Bless America!"

Corvette(s)
    1984 Black

What does that mean?

Gone but not forgotten John Robinson's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1993 Polo Green Coupe

Default You have a clue

If the clutch is slipping I would guess it is the original and the odomoter has rolled once. Or it is the original milage but as others have said it may say exempt on the title because of it's age. Or the clutch is slipping because the car has been hammered whenever it was run during it's 38,000 mile life. In any case I would take the advice of others and drop it like a hot potatoe or is that potato.

Corvette(s)
    87 Gold Z52 Coupe 02 EB Z51 Supercharged Coupe

The CCM tracks (and displays) the odometer reading. When a new CCM is installed, it has to be programmed to show the true mileage that was recorded on the original CCM. The CCM is located in the center of the dash, above and in front of the radio.
    If a CCM did not get the "true mileage" entered into it within 100 miles of driving, it will lock out the ability to enter the real reading. The CCM also is programmed with the car's VIN and other data elements depending on the options on the car.

The 'exempt' on the title usually means that the car has more miles on it than what the particular state cares about tracking. Here in WA, a car over 10 years old no longer requires that the mileage be reported to the DMV at the time of a sale. If that's the case in your state or the state where the car is titled, it could be that it is the 'real' miles.

The fact that you mention that there are other reported transfers on the CARFAX with "not actual miles" probably means that the car has bounced around thru car lots who sold the car to people who didn't know about the miles and some of those owners are probably responsible for trashing the clutch.

There are a lot of good cars out there and it just takes some searching. Try not to be in a hurry when you look. Always get the best car you can find for the money you have to spend.

Corvette(s)
    1991 Turquoise Metallic Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by lone73
    ....How does a car with 38K miles have a worn out clutch?

I pointed it out to the owner as I was test driving it and he was silent. Not a word in reply.
    RUN!

That guy is hiding something major about the car. Look elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast