Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06

Default Parking brake is stuck on!

I was working on the car today and had the parking brake on. When I took the car off the ramps; I disengaged the parking brake and the handle went down without any resistance whatsoever.

I drove about 20 feet to see if my suspicions were true. I let the car idle when driving and sure enough, it stopped itself.

The brake light didn't come on because I took the bulb out a couple years ago due to a parking brake issue.

Can I just disable it? I don't think I'm going to replace it because I really don't have a need for it.
    Edmond.

Contact me for the best prices on Amsoil.

Corvette(s)
    1994 White Coupe, 2004 Spiral Gray Coupe

Default P-brake

did you try pulling the handle all the way up until it re-engages them push the button to release?

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by samborskij
    did you try pulling the handle all the way up until it re-engages them push the button to release?
    Yes, I did try that but no luck.
    Edmond.

Ken
    Corvette(s)
    1987 Z51 Silver Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond
    The brake light didn't come on because I took the bulb out a couple years ago due to a parking brake issue.
    A parking brake issue? Sounds like this was something just waiting to happen.

The parking brake is a drum brake setup inside the disc rotor on the eary C4s and it's probably just corrosion and dirt. You can try to free up the brake linings by adjusting them with an old-fashioned brake spoon (or screwdriver), but most likely you'll have to remove the wheels and clean the entire assembly. It isn't that hard to do really.

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    The parking brake is a drum brake setup inside the disc rotor on the eary C4s and it's probably just corrosion and dirt. You can try to free up the brake linings by adjusting them with an old-fashioned brake spoon (or screwdriver), but most likely you'll have to remove the wheels and clean the entire assembly. It isn't that hard to do really.

I was afraid that you'd say that. I tried to engage the thumb button again and engage the brake to turn the parking brake off but no luck.

Good news is that my mechanic neighbor should be coming over this afternoon and give me some pointers.

Is it really necessary for me to have a functional parking brake?
    Edmond.

JRMaroon

Does Illinois require an annual safety inspection?

Otherwise you may just need it in situations similar to when it broke. To keep it from rolling over you.

Corvette(s)
    84 Coupe

Just off center between the rear wheels you will see a cable. You can unadjust that cable then move the car in reverse to disengage the break linings. You may get lucky.

Corvette(s)
    1967(427/400),2011(Z06)

The C4 parking brake had an inherent problem with the application of the brake. If you pull up on the handle too far when setting the brake, the cable can come off the pulley or seperate causing you to be unable to release the brake. The secret is when setting the brake to not pull the handle up that last 1/2inch of travel. I had uneducated mechanics break mine twice by trying to pull the handle out of the car. A firm set is all that is required. Having an operational parking brake is always a good idea.
    Good luck, Paul
    NCM Life Member #300
    NCM Founding Member #615
    NCM Ambassador
    NCRS Member #10460
    NCM 2003 Caravan Captain-SoCal
    NCM 2014 Caravan National Chair

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by JRMaroon
    Does Illinois require an annual safety inspection?

Otherwise you may just need it in situations similar to when it broke. To keep it from rolling over you.
    I don't think we have an annual safety inspection. At least not that I know of.

That's how I broke it; to keep the car from rolling over me! Oh the irony. I was working on the exhaust and rear sway bar bushings. I jacked the rear end up to put the car on my Rhino Ramps. I put the brake on so it wouldn't roll off. When I tried to push the lever back down, it went straight down and the parking brake didn't disengage.
    Edmond.

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T
    The C4 parking brake had an inherent problem with the application of the brake. If you pull up on the handle too far when setting the brake, the cable can come off the pulley or seperate causing you to be unable to release the brake. The secret is when setting the brake to not pull the handle up that last 1/2inch of travel. I had uneducated mechanics break mine twice by trying to pull the handle out of the car. A firm set is all that is required. Having an operational parking brake is always a good idea.
    Good luck, Paul
    Paul,

Unfortunately, that's what I did. I guess I'm not used to it because on my Toyota, they use the pedal type, not the lever type.

JonM,

I'm going to try and get lucky!
    Edmond.

Ken
    Corvette(s)
    1987 Z51 Silver Coupe

State inspection requirements or no, you really should have a parking brake on your vehicles. It just makes (safety) sense.

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06

Default Problem solved!

So my neighbor came over and took care of the problem for me. I showed him the problem and went back inside to get the keys. By the time I came back out; he had it fixed.

He just pulled the lever a little higher until it engaged and that was it! I think I'm gonna go for a nice cruise tonight.
    Edmond.

Corvette(s)
    1967(427/400),2011(Z06)

So my neighbor came over and took care of the problem for me. I showed him the problem and went back inside to get the keys. By the time I came back out; he had it fixed.

He just pulled the lever a little higher until it engaged and that was it! I think I'm gonna go for a nice cruise tonight.
    Outstanding. That is the way all problems should turn out. Enjoy the cruise.
    Paul
    NCM Life Member #300
    NCM Founding Member #615
    NCM Ambassador
    NCRS Member #10460
    NCM 2003 Caravan Captain-SoCal
    NCM 2014 Caravan National Chair