Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1994 Blk/Blk

Default Temp Higher After Pump Replaced??

Before my "water pump" was replaced, my running temperature was a constant 185 degrees in my '94 LT1, 6SPD. After replacing the pump, the "temperature gauge" was in the "middle" of the meter, suggesting temp was around 205 degrees. GM mechanic said that the specs suggest that normal running temp "should be in the 205 degree range. Someone please explain to me, "like I'm a 2yr. old", why my temp would be higher after the new pump was installed? (from 185 to 205)
    What is your running temperature? Thank you

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Quote Originally Posted by Donne Trav View Post
    Before my "water pump" was replaced, my running temperature was a constant 185 degrees in my '94 LT1, 6SPD. After replacing the pump, the "temperature gauge" was in the "middle" of the meter, suggesting temp was around 205 degrees. GM mechanic said that the specs suggest that normal running temp "should be in the 205 degree range. Someone please explain to me, "like I'm a 2yr. old", why my temp would be higher after the new pump was installed? (from 185 to 205)
    First, know that the analog gauges in the IP of a 94 are terribly non-linear and, thus, inaccurate.

What is your ECT on the digital display?

As for why an engine might run warmer after a water pump change?

1) Wrong pump.
    2) Wrong pump gasket
    3) Defective pump.
    4) Improper replacement procedure.
    5) Air bubble in system after pump change

Corvette(s)
    1996 Grand Sport 917, 1996 Polo Green LT4

Both my 96 LT4's run @ a constant 195 as per the digital gauge. As Hutch says, the analog gauge
    is hard to comprehend exactly what the temperature is.

You may need to have the car burped, kinda like a 2 year old.

Corvette(s)
    1989 Bright Red Convertible

Did they change your thermostat? Mine has a 195 in it and normally runs over the 200 mark. I've been told that C4's around my year have always run in the 200's.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Quote Originally Posted by 96gs917 View Post
    Both my 96 LT4's run @ a constant 195 as per the digital gauge. As Hutch says, the analog gauge
    is hard to comprehend exactly what the temperature is.

You may need to have the car burped, kinda like a 2 year old.
    They don't need to be "burped".

All Gen 2 V8s have two bleeder valves in the system. The procedure for filling then bleeding the air out of the system is covered in the Service Manual.

Corvette(s)
    AI head/cam/intake, Vig converter, D44, EM LTs etc

Did they replace the Thermostat too?

185 for a LT1 seems like an aftermarket T-stat....

Mike

Corvette(s)
    AI head/cam/intake, Vig converter, D44, EM LTs etc

Sorry someone already posted the obvious . For some reason the thread view is jacked up on my computer.

Mike

Corvette(s)
    1996 Torch Red Coupe LT4

Default Higher Temp - Sticky T-Stat

I have had the same problem with other cars. Sometimes when you drain the cooling system the T-Stat will dry out and bind on its shaft due to mineral deposits. I have seen them stick completely closed and not open. Clean the T-Stat in vinegar and cycle it a few times on the stove in a pot of water. Keep some ice cubes handy to quickly drop the temperature of the water. Check it the initial opening temperature and where it is full open. If should start to open about 15 degrees below the rating and full open by the time it reaches it rated temperature. It should shut quickly when you cool it down.

If it doesn't open where expected replace it. Check any brand new thermostat in the same manner.
    Last edited by mcich7781; 02-10-13 at 10:42 PM.