Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Jim Bannon

Default 95 corvette head lights

one head light on my 95 opens fine when I turn on the lights but the motor continues to run after it's open all the way and bangs about 8 or so times before it stops, does the same thing when I put lights off don't know if it can be adjusted or a motor rebuild is necessary, any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you, Jim Bannon

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe

Jim, first off welcome to CAC. You will find a great number of very helpful people here.

What you are experiencing sounds like the very common problem of the bushing disintegration. The motor is probably fine, but the bushing need replacement. Now, before I go any further, I will say I have not had to do this....yet. It is a common problem and there are some very good threads on this very subject.

Here is a photo step-by-step writeup on the fix.

Headlights

Jim Bannon

THANK YOU toms94 for your quick and highly detailed reply, I hope I can help you some day as much as you have helped me, thanks again and best wishes for the new year!

Corvette(s)
    92 coupe black rose

When the bushings disintegrate like Tom has mentioned, the motor doesn't have enough resistance against it to trip its self off once the lights have rotated into position so the motor runs until it times out and cuts off that way. Of things to have to fix, this is one thats cheap and fairly easy.
    rascal

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe

Now I know that Rascal HAS done this listen to him...

Jim Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bannon View Post
    one head light on my 95 opens fine when I turn on the lights but the motor continues to run after it's open all the way and bangs about 8 or so times before it stops, does the same thing when I put lights off don't know if it can be adjusted or a motor rebuild is necessary, any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you, Jim Bannon
    rascal rascal 99, thank you very much for your reply, seems like the best thing to go wrong went wrong, guess it would be best to do both and get it over with as soon as time permits, bought the car 2 years ago and this is the first thing to go wrong, first corvette I owned and plan to own it forever! THANK YOU for the quick reply. Jim Bannon

Corvette(s)
    92 coupe black rose

Once you do the first one, the second one will be a piece of cake...and I'd definitely suggest going ahead and doing both of them. Other than the nylon bushings, the only thing I had to replace when I was doing mine, were the roll pins. There's one on each headlight and when I was knocking them out they both broke up some. I know there's a thread here where I've talked about it before, if you have trouble doing a search and finding all the help you need just give a shout again.
    rascal

Corvette(s)
    1996 Polo Green LT1 Coupe

I have to do this with my drivers side light when I get my vette out of hibernation this spring.

Corvette(s)
    1991 red L98

Default oldie but goodie!

Quote Originally Posted by Toms01 View Post
    Jim, first off welcome to CAC. You will find a great number of very helpful people here.

What you are experiencing sounds like the very common problem of the bushing disintegration. The motor is probably fine, but the bushing need replacement. Now, before I go any further, I will say I have not had to do this....yet. It is a common problem and there are some very good threads on this very subject.

Here is a photo step-by-step writeup on the fix.

Headlights
    Tom, excellent post! I swear, I find more choice morsels on old posts. This CAC site is a DUY's best friend. My old 91 left headlight is showing signs of failing, running on when closing; best to be proactive. I bought it for a diversion, after all, for retirement. I have not been disapointed!

Thanks for the info.

saludos, joe

Corvette(s)
    93 Coupe Torch Red Daily driver

The bushings are also available at most auto parts stores in the HELP area as ford power window bushings