Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: service LTPWS

ReDevil2

Default service LTPWS

We just bought corvette C4 and warning light ˝service LTPWS˝is on.
    What is the meaning of this warning light?
    Is it dangerous?
    If somebody knows what it is please tell me!
    Thanks

Corvette(s)
    '96 Torch Red LT4

The following is from my '96 owners manual. The SERVICE LPTWS (Low Pressure Tire Wqrning System) comes on whenever a LPTWS part is not working properly. It may also come on when you are going less than 25 MPh or in Stop and Go traffic. The light will go out when it gets a signal from each sensor.

Two situations that will cause the light to come on and stay on. Both are normal and do not indicate that anything is wrong with the car.

1. You turn the ignition on three times in a row within half an hour without moving the car. The light will then come on every time you turn the ignition on until you move your Corvette.

2. You run your Corvette three times within half an hour while all four sensors are missing. (All sensors would be missing if you put different wheels on your car without transferring the sensors.)

If the light comes on and stays on, even when the car is driven, there could be a problem with the LPTWS. The dealer can clear that light permanently.

Hope this helps.

ReDevil2

Thanks for your reply.
    In our case the light goes on after 5-10 min. of driving, and stays on until engine stops.
    Maybe sistem is losing contact with one of the sensors?

Corvette(s)
    08 VR Convertible 2014 TR Coupe

The tire pressure sensors send messages to the Driver Information Center (DIC); they are piezoelectric, meaning that the rotating wheel supplies the power (no batteries as is the case for C5 and C6 models). The TPS system sends one of two messages, one is low tire pressure/flat tire and the second is LTPWS that means that one or more of your TPS is not functioning. The LTPWS light comes on after several minutes of driving once you exceed 25 mph. It will stay on until the engine is turned off. There are 4 tire sensors, each specific for each wheel, i.e. LF, RF, RR, LR. GM changed the TPS during C4 production. The 1989-92 sensors will not work in your 1994. You will need the 1993-96 sensors. Now the bad news. GM no longer makes the TPS and you may have to find used ones. There are no after market TPS for the C4 system. I know that GM no longer has the LF TPS, but I am not sure if GM has any in stock for the RR, LR, and RF. I was able to purchase a RR from Chevy for my 94 in 2006, but had to buy a LF from Taber Used Vette Parts last year. Cost is prohibitive for a new TPS, about $350+ for each TPS. Suggest you check with Superior Chev in Kansas for best GM price if new ones are available (see LT4mans thread on the dealer to get best price). Used TPS run from $100 to $200 each.
    You can either run the codes (search the CAC for "how to read codes" on a C4) and the code will tell you which TPS is not functioning, or have your Chevy dealer do it. If GM does not have one in stock, you will have to purchase a used one. Several CACers have them for sale. You need the TPS that is in a beige housing, not the black housing). The TPS is attached to the inside of the wheel with a counter-weighted metal band that wraps around the wheel. Make sure you get the band with any used TPS you purchase.
    It is my understanding that there is no way to turn the LPTWS light off in the DIC. You can remove the fuse for the cruise control (it is also for the TPS), but you will be without the cruise control, or you can remove the bulb from the DIC (not easy to do, but can be done). I suggest that you find and install a TPS and keep the system intact. When you read the code, it will give you a number that is referenced to the TPS in the factory service manual (if you own a vette and work on it, you will need the red covered FSM). I recently listed the codes that correspond to each TPS in response to a thread on the subject. If you have the code, post it in this thread or (PM me) and I or others on the site can tell you which TPS is sending the LTPWS message to the DIC. We can also tell you the GM part number for the faulty TPS. In addition, each TPS has a different color label. Blue, yellow, green and orange.
    Hope this helps and that you can get the situation resolved. Welcome to the CAC; the members here try to help with any problem.
    Barrett

ReDevil2

Many thanks on detailed reply.
    Will check all 4 TPS.(Hope no one is lost).

Corvette(s)

Let us know what you find out.
    Barrett

blackxpress

Mine does the same thing. Sometimes it goes for days without coming on but that's rare. Lately, my "Low Tire Pressure" light has been coming on sometimes, too. I've noticed both of these lights come on when I'm going slow and run over bumps in the road. I'm assuming one or more of the sensors is loose and/or damaged. Anywho, I really don't care. It's a little aggravating but I've never had a car with LTPWS before so, IMO, it's an unnecessary POS. I'm perfectly capable of checking my own tire pressure without some dumb computer telling me when I need air. Next time I have the tires off the rims I might just see about disabling the whole thing.

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackxpress View Post
    Mine does the same thing. Sometimes it goes for days without coming on but that's rare. Lately, my "Low Tire Pressure" light has been coming on sometimes, too. I've noticed both of these lights come on when I'm going slow and run over bumps in the road. I'm assuming one or more of the sensors is loose and/or damaged. Anywho, I really don't care. It's a little aggravating but I've never had a car with LTPWS before so, IMO, it's an unnecessary POS. I'm perfectly capable of checking my own tire pressure without some dumb computer telling me when I need air. Next time I have the tires off the rims I might just see about disabling the whole thing.
    I am not sure you can disable the system just by removing the sensors inside the wheels. I have reviewed a lot of threads on this subject and have yet to read anything about disabling the system by removing the sensors or by reprogramming the computer. The wheel sensor sends a signal to a transmitter that relays it to the DIC. If you do remove the sensor in each wheel, then your best bet is to remove the LTPWS bulb in the DIC, otherwise the LTPWS will stay on each time you drive, as the transmitter will send a default signal that it is not receiving info from each wheel sensor. For the intermittent symptoms that you have, I agree that you may have a faulty sensor, a loose sensor, or a transmitter problem.
    As for checking air pressure, with the TPS system, you have to have the correct pressure range in the tires before starting the car, otherwise the LTP/FT signal will illuminate. One has to turn off the engine, inflate or fix the tire, before restarting. The LTP/FT light will not go off if you inflate with the engine running.
    Barrett

Corvette(s)
    '96 Torch Red LT4

See my initial post. The dealer can disable the system.

Florida Guy

Corvette(s)

Thanks for redirecting me to your initial post; I re-read it and you say that the dealer can permanently disable the light. Is it a computer setting? This is the first time I have read that the dealer can disable the light. I sure would like to know how they do it. Do you have any information on this?
    Barrett

Corvette(s)
    1995 ZO7 drk red metallic-2004 CTS Red

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Guy View Post
    The following is from my '96 owners manual. The SERVICE LPTWS (Low Pressure Tire Wqrning System) comes on whenever a LPTWS part is not working properly. It may also come on when you are going less than 25 MPh or in Stop and Go traffic. The light will go out when it gets a signal from each sensor.

Two situations that will cause the light to come on and stay on. Both are normal and do not indicate that anything is wrong with the car.

1. You turn the ignition on three times in a row within half an hour without moving the car. The light will then come on every time you turn the ignition on until you move your Corvette.

2. You run your Corvette three times within half an hour while all four sensors are missing. (All sensors would be missing if you put different wheels on your car without transferring the sensors.)

If the light comes on and stays on, even when the car is driven, there could be a problem with the LPTWS. The dealer can clear that light permanently.

Hope this helps.
    I believe that your No. 1 refers to the Selective Ride Control & not the
    LTPWS. I have a 95 & was wondering did they change the system for 96?

Corvette(s)
    '96 Torch Red LT4

To those who questioned my posts about the LPTWS, I do not have the system installed on my 96 so I have absolutely no experience with the system. The information I posted is practically verbatim from my Owners Manual so I ass/u/me that it is correct. I have no other info than what I posted.

Corvette(s)
    '95 LT1 Coupe, Comp Yell; C6 Roadster, Vel Yell

After getting 2 out of 4 broken by C4-inexperienced tire installers I just removed them all and sold the darned things. I have never missed them. Tires balance out better too. Of course I had to remove the LTPWS lamp in the dash to eliminate the "annoyance factor" but other than that...good riddance.

Corvette(s)
    2 89s a coupe and roadster both 6speeds

I have the tire sensors on both my 89s
    on my coupe the system has never worked and the light never comes on the build sheet says the coupe has it and a few years back I put new tires on the car and the wheels have sensors on them (my guess it has been disabled)
    Our 89 vert also has the system the light only comes on briefly when I start the car
    A few summers back I swapped wheels and tires between the two vettes as the tires were better in the coupe than the vert and we were going to driving thousands of miles and I did not want any tire issues on the trip
    and with the tire swap the light would come on after stating and driving the car a few miles and stay on until the car was shut off again
    When we returned home from the trip I swapped the tires and wheels back again to the vettes the tires belonged on and then the tire warning light only came on again just at startup
    I just last summer bought 4 new tires for the vert and it also has the tire sensors (the reason the light came on and stayed with the coupes tires on the sensors have different code numbers on them)
    so not just any sensors work on any car!

Corvette(s)

Since Florida Guy was kind enough to reply that his information was from the manual, I still have not read anything that has been posted that a dealer can disable the tire pressure monitoring system. That is, no one has had the experience of having the dealer disable the system and posted it. I had spoken to a knowledgeable dealer service manager and the mechanic who installed the left front TPS on my 94, and they both told me that they could not disable the system. Doesn't mean that it can't be done, it just meant that the particular dealer couldn't do it. This may be a question that can only be answered by Gordon Killebrew.
    Barrett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast