Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1995 Dark Red 6spd Convertible

Default C4 Rear End Types ?

In the past I've read about 2 different C-4 rear differential carriers in the C4 corvette. The 6 speed seems to have a more heavy duty rearend. A Dana 66 ? I think.

I'm familiar with the 10 bolt and 12 bolt Chevy as well as the 8 inch 8.8 and 9 inch Ford rearend designs, as well as the early Jag.

What's the difference between the two C4 carriers ? Ring and pinion size ?
    What size are they ?

Is it a clutch type rearend or a ratcheting locker type ?

How much torque\HP can they handle ? Specifically the "big "one.

How are the halfshaft input knuckles held into place in the rearend? with C clips ?

If I should happen to accidentally rev my LT1 to about 4 grand and sidestep the clutch will I be picking spider gear fragments off the pavement ? or will my accidental childishness be rewarded with a nice set of black strips with slight right hand twist?
    Jimbobc4

Corvette(s)
    2001 Magnetic Red Coupe

Well they are the Dana 36 (84 cars and all auto cars thereafter) and the Dana 44 (Manual trans cars 85 and up). I don't know the size of the R & P, but I do know that the 44 are pretty tough, as they use a variation in 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Corvette(s)

woops, yeah Dana 44. .

Corvette(s)

Ok so no drag racer guys on here ?

No one has ever scattered a Dana 44 all over the track? I guess thats a good thing.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Both the D36 and the D44 have clutch type limited slips.

The general differences are bigger gearset, bigger bearings, bigger pinion shaft.

Your 95 has the 44 as it's a manual. Can you sidestep the clutch at 4000 and not break parts? Well, it depends on your tires. With street tires, probably not. You'll just spin 'em. Put drag radials on there and, well, depending on how much torque your putting through the axle, you might.

44s are used in some Jeep vehicles but they are Jeeps with smaller engines.

The last question about "input knuckles" I did not understand. Are you asking about the pinion shaft (the rear axle's "input" shaft) or the stub axles which connect to the axle drive shafts?

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    The last question about "input knuckles" I did not understand. Are you asking about the pinion shaft (the rear axle's "input" shaft) or the stub axles which connect to the axle drive shafts?
    Stub axles that connect to the axle drive shafts. I'm interested in knowing how they are attached to the inner workings of the differential for track certification purposes.

Also thanks for the input. I have been investigating the rearend as well and have not been real happy with my findings. It seems the Dana 44 was only marginal in its ability to handle torque.

350 to 400 ft lbs max. and in the Jeeps ... 8.5 ring and pinion. I haven't found the' Vette size yet. So it is like a midgrade type rearend between the 10 bolt and 12 bolt Chevy, or roughly the equivalant to a standard 8.8 Mustang rearend in respect to TQ and HP capacity.

I can lay a patch of rubber but if I bolt on a set of slicks, I better get out the broom and call a cab.

So, hit the gears right, do very little downshifting at the track with respect to reverse braking with the motor, and no Magnum PI burnouts from grass to pavement.

Other than that, Im good. As long as I know whats underneath me when I drive it, no worries . No broken parts.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Quote Originally Posted by JimBobC4 View Post
    Stub axles that connect to the axle drive shafts. I'm interested in knowing how they are attached to the inner workings of the differential for track certification purposes.
    Snap rings, in the ends of the axles, inside the diff.

350 to 400 ft lbs max. and in the Jeeps ... 8.5 ring and pinion. I haven't found the' Vette size yet. So it is like a midgrade type rearend between the 10 bolt and 12 bolt Chevy, or roughly the equivalant to a standard 8.8 Mustang rearend in respect to TQ and HP capacity.
    Maybe closer to the 12-bolt than to the 10-bolt.

I can lay a patch of rubber but if I bolt on a set of slicks, I better get out the broom and call a cab.
    Depends on 1) if they are drag radials or real slicks, 2) how hard you leave, ie: sidestep the clutch or just release it quickly and 3) how sticky the road surface is.

So, hit the gears right, do very little downshifting at the track with respect to reverse braking with the motor, and no Magnum PI burnouts from grass to pavement but I'd worry more, there, about twising halfshafts than breaking the axle.
    I wouldn't worry about downshifting on a road race track but the "Magnum PI" burnouts might be a problem.
    [/quote]

Corvette(s)
    AI head/cam/intake, Vig converter, D44, EM LTs etc

Also thanks for the input. I have been investigating the rearend as well and have not been real happy with my findings. It seems the Dana 44 was only marginal in its ability to handle torque.

So, hit the gears right, do very little downshifting at the track with respect to reverse braking with the motor, and no Magnum PI burnouts from grass to pavement.

Other than that, Im good. As long as I know whats underneath me when I drive it, no worries . No broken parts.

I believe that the corvette D44 has a bigger ring gear than the jeep D44

IE its a hybrid with a D60 size ring gear IOT make up for the aluminum case.

Corvette(s)

Halfshafts twist and outer spindle usually breaks first in extreme apps.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1993474

Corvette(s)

Thanks to all. Knowledge is power ... or money in this case.

Corvette(s)
    1988 Dark Red Coupe

A question on a related note. Aren't there 2 different D36 carriers? Something to do with what factory gear you car came with. I think if you have the 2:59 gear it has a different carrier than the 3:07 gear.

Anybody know if this is true?

DANA 36 vs DANA 44
    The C-4 Dana 36 was the only axle available in 1984 Corvettes. In 1985, Chevrolet brought out the Dana 44 which was similar to the 80-82 Corvette axle, but not interchangeable. The Dana 44 axle is considerably stronger, but not indestructible. The Dana 36 and the Dana 44 (44's in some autos and all manuals) axles were used through 1996.
    The Dana 44 is much larger than the D36. The 44 has a larger, "beefier" carrier/components to handle larger (lower) ring and pinions, and increased torque. NOTICE THE LOCATION OF THE TOP CENTER BOLT HOLE ON THE DANA 36 THATS NOT ON THE DANA 44 REAR, thats a QUICK WAY TO TELL THEM APART
    603967 GM 44 REAR 1980 CORVETTE
    605172 GM 36 REAR 1984 CORVETTE
    605180 GM 36 REAR 1984 CORVETTE
    605220 GM 44 REAR 1985-87 CORVETTE
    605239 GM 36 REAR 1984-86 CORVETTE
    605260 GM 36 REAR 1985-87 CORVETTE
    605321 GM 36 REAR 1988-90 CORVETTE
    605322 GM 44 REAR 1989 1/2-90 CORVETTE
    605365 GM 44 REAR 1988-89 CORVETTE
    605417 GM 44 REAR 1990-90 1/2 CORVETTE
    605490 GM 36 REAR 1990 1/2-96 1/2 CORVETTE
    605491 GM 44 REAR 1990-96 1/2 CORVETTE
    605492 GM 44 REAR 1990 1/2 CORVETTE

Look at the size difference, especially at the case above the yokes:

Dana 36

Dana 44
    And visit
    ikerds.com
    Who were kind enough to supply the pics...

Corvette(s)

Thanks ! a visual comparison always helps. It is interesting to see them side by side.

good post.

Corvette(s)
    1994 Corvette ZR-1 Red/Grey

The aluminum Dana 44 HD rear end was also used in the early and mid year Vipers.
    http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5323.PDF
    Ring gear diameter is around 8.75 inches and has the same pinion shaft diameter as the Dana 60. The Dana 44s used in most other automotive applications have a smaller diameter pinion shafts.
    Overall its a fairly rugged unit for an independent sports car type suspension.
    A lot of guys that drag race their Vettes and Vipers don't have a lot of problems with this unit even with mod ed engines and drag radial tires. I share Hib's view that you can reach its limits with hard launches on large drag tires though you will probably experience problems with the drive shafts first.

Corvette(s)

thanks everyone.

I do appreciate the input. I think if the Dana rearend can handle
    the abuse I've read about, it will serve my needs well.

I tested it out today as a matter of fact.

First time I've driven it in 3 months. 2nd time since I bought it.

Although I babied the car most of the trip, I did nail it once ... hard.

The LT-1 barked and the 3:45 hooked up like glue after
    a few self induced fishtales. The BFgoodrich tires were screamin' today !