Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    zgator

Default Changing 82 fuel pump for 85

Please anybody that has done this tell me how hard it is to do and is it worth it.Is it too much pressure for the stock FI units?Or if somebody is better than me doing a search please post a link.Thanks

Corvette(s)
    1982 Twin Turbocharged Red/Black

if you can cut and reconnect 2 wires you can do it. It's THAT simple.

These pumps create flow, not pressure. Pressure is the result of flow through a restricion. This restriction is a spring loaded diaphragm called a fuel pressure regulator and the spring pressure determines if the diaphragm opens and allows excess volume to purge to the return line (and thus lowering pressure), in short, you can bolt any flow pump to it and the regulator will regulate the pressure to the desired setting (well, if the fuel flow is so large that the regulator or return line becomes restrictive then pressure will rise above reg setting but you will never achieve that much fuel flow)

Corvette(s)
    1982 Red w/red leather int.

Default Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by zgator View Post
    Please anybody that has done this tell me how hard it is to do and is it worth it.Is it too much pressure for the stock FI units?Or if somebody is better than me doing a search please post a link.Thanks
    http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/cfte...ID=18&CAT_ID=1
    Try this link I did it from this and all is well !
    it helps out stock pressure, change out fuel filter as well. mine went from a weak 8 1/2 to a solid 10 after the pump change then manually changed the psi up to 14psi that was the hard part. Had to make my own flexible tool to reach the bottom of the pressure regulator.

Be careful about reading health books.
    You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain

Corvette(s)
    1982 CROSSFIRE

Quote Originally Posted by cinci5 View Post
    it helps out stock pressure, change out fuel filter as well. mine went from a weak 8 1/2 to a solid 10 after the pump change then manually changed the psi up to 14psi that was the hard part. Had to make my own flexible tool to reach the bottom of the pressure regulator.
    Did you find a difference when you jacked it up to 14 psi?

Jim

Corvette(s)
    1982 Red w/red leather int.

It did help, it seemed to smooth out the idle and give it more torque. It was worth it I feel.

Be careful about reading health books.
    You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain

Phill's Vette

Quote Originally Posted by cinci5 View Post
    This site sells a special tool just for the CFI TB fuel pressure adjustment and it works better than anything I have seen; they have a lot of other Crossfire stuff also. http://crossfireinjection.net/