Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thread: Exhaust

Corvette(s)
    L82 Pace

Default Exhaust

i know there have been many discussions about exhaust systems. i want to go with true duals and i'm leaning towards the aluminized chambered exhaust from Mid-America. i was wonderin' if anyone had this setup.....how's the sound?....better performance if any? thanks,,,,mike

Corvette(s)
    1980 L82 Black/Red

I was wondering the same thing. I currently have true duals, no cats, and glasspacks at the end on my 1980 L82, but I get too much popping on deceleration. I was trying to decide between chambered exhaust system or side pipes.

Corvette(s)
    '69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport

Quote Originally Posted by mike82 View Post
    "... i'm leaning towards the aluminized chambered exhaust from Mid-America. i was wonderin' if anyone had this setup.....how's the sound?....better performance if any? ...."
    Quote Originally Posted by 80VetteL82 View Post
    "...but I get too much popping on deceleration. I was trying to decide between chambered exhaust system or side pipes..."
    Hey Guys,

I have the Mid America 2.5" chambered exhaust system. It's a good kit, fairly easy to install. It's indeed a loud system -- but soooo cool! Excellent rumble at idle and a head-turner at WOT!!!

Mustang's don't come close to this growl...

To reduce the deceleration pops - and increase some low end torque, spend another $33 from Summit and get their 2.5" H-Pipe (part # SUM-642025). Install the H-pipe when you do the whole system and save the later hassle.

Here's a recent CAC post on this topic: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/foru...ad.php?t=89691

Oh, and here's the Summit Racing H-Pipe: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Good Luck!

Ralph

1969 Corvette Convertible (build date December 14, 1968),
    L-36 427, 390 hp (3963512 block; 3964290 heads), Muncie M-21, Monza Red, Black Top & Black Interior. VB&P Gymkhana 550 lbs/inch coil springs, Bilstein Sport shocks.
    In progress... full body-off restoration.

1972 Camaro Z-28, Rally Sport, Cranberry Red/Black Stripes.
    LS-6 454/425, Muncie M-21, 9.8:1 CR, Lunati 60204 Voodoo Cam (Dur 276/284, Lift .554/.572), Holley 3310-3 (750 CFM), Weiand 8019 Stealth Intake, 3.73:1 Rear, Flowtech Headers 1.75" Primaries, Chambered Tube Exhaust, Custom Works GT Coil Springs, Hotchkis Sport Shocks.

Corvette(s)
    L82 Pace

thanks for the help guys.

80VetteL82, i think side exhaust on an '80 would look pretty slick.

fine69, thanks for the tip on the H-pipe, i wouldn't have thought of it. as far as sound goes, i would rather listen to a healthy exhaust note than the radio.

see ya,,,mike

Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6

Quote Originally Posted by 80VetteL82 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I currently have true duals, no cats, and glasspacks at the end on my 1980 L82, but I get too much popping on deceleration. I was trying to decide between chambered exhaust system or side pipes.
    Go with the side pipes...

Corvette(s)
    1980 L82 Black/Red

Looks great man. Do you think straight side pipes would be too much, and I should put a muffler in there? What did you do? Im not to familiar with side exhausts, so im not sure how they are set up.