Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thread: engine removal

Corvette(s)
    1973 t-tops

Default engine removal

Getting ready to pull engine. I've pulled many engines but never a 'vette.
    will the tranny come out with it ok? any shortcuts I should be aware of...I could benefit by learning from someone else's problems
    '73 350 with automatic

Corvette(s)
    www.67HEAVEN.com

If you're using an engine hoist, pull it from the side. The C3 nose is too long for the hoist to reach without body damage.

Get a jack stand under the side where you're going to pull it, and remove the front wheel to allow room for the hoist legs to slide under.
    Link to the Shop Build thread.

"I believe that time wounds all heels".
    John Lennon

===============================

Corvette(s)
    1973 t-tops

Default good one!

I knew there was help on this....never would have thought about the side removal...thanks!

les

Corvette(s)
    1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82

I agree, when I pulled the motor from my '78 I did it from the side.
    I already had the car up on jackstands and never even needed to remove the front wheel - the legs for the hoist slid right under the wheel

you can pull the tranny out with the motor all as one unit or just the motor and than do the tranny seperately. Especially if you plan on pulling both as a single unit, be sure to remove the radiator and core support first. removing both of those will give you a lot of extra working room.

On the C3's the tranny crossmember is bolted in so if you are pulling the tranny out from the top (or dropping it from below afterwards) simply unbolt that crossmember to allow the tail to drop down and give yourself manuevering room.

If you are pulling both out as a single unit, using a tilter on the hoist will help GREATLY.

1965 Milano Maroon Coupe 327/365
    1978 Dark Blue L82

our website in progress
    http://www.lbfun.com

Corvette(s)
    1976 medium blue

I pulled my transmission first, then took the radiator out and fan shroud. This gave me a lot of room to pull the motor out. I did all the work by myself. I put the new radiator and shroud back in first, then dropped the motor is by itself and by myself. Took maybe 15 minutes or less to put the motor in and bolt it up to motor mounts. I then put the automatic transmission in from underneath. I know that it is easier to put the motor and transmission in as a unit, but it is easier to put the radiator and fan shroud in first, since this can get tight to manuver without messing up the alum radiator fins with the shroud. Probably everyone does it a little different. I had the car on jack stands, and the headers went in with no problem. Then the starter and oil filter went on.

Corvette(s)
    '78 Real S/A, L82, 4spd

Just to clarify what BarryK said... C3's with Auto's have a bolt-in xmember, most C3's with 4 spds have a welded in xmember...
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    we grow old because we stop playing.

Corvette(s)
    1968 convertible; 1980 L-82

Quote Originally Posted by mvftw View Post
    ...C3's with Auto's have a bolt-in xmember, most C3's with 4 spds have a welded in xmember...
    Yep. 4speeds have a welded crossmember.

Pulling engine and tranny together is dependent upon how much clearance you can get under the car. 4speeds are shorter than the auto trannies and a TH400 is a long feller. If you don't have the clearance, you'll have the engine in the air and the tranny dragging the ground.

FWIW: I dropped the TH400 in my '68, then pulled the engine. Probably extra work, but no clearance problems.

Remember: having a smallblock hanging over your Corvette fiberglass is a spooky thing!!

Corvette(s)
    1970 BRONZE COUPE/WHITE 69 CONV

Quote Originally Posted by Les Walter View Post
    Getting ready to pull engine. I've pulled many engines but never a 'vette.
    will the tranny come out with it ok? any shortcuts I should be aware of...I could benefit by learning from someone else's problems
    '73 350 with automatic
    I ALWAYS LEAVE THE TRANNY IN THE CAR UNLESS YOU ARE REBUILDING THAT TOO. I HAVE AN EXTENDABLE BOOM ON MY HOIST AND DO IT FROM THE FRONT. I PULL THE FAN, WATER PUMP AND PULLEYS OFF THE ENGINE AND CAN REMOVE THE ENGINE WITHOUT REMOVING THE FAN SHROUD. EVERYONE HAS THEIR FAVORITE APPROACH AT IT. THAT IS JUST MINE. HAPPY MOTORING. RUSS