Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1996 CE LT4

Default Removing front suspension coil springs?

I was just looking in the assembly and shop manuals, and the directions and figures made me even more confused on how to remove the front suspenion coil springs. How exactly is this done? :

Thanks!

Corvette(s)
    '69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport

Well... this is what I did:

1. Remove the castellated nut that connects the lower control arm ball joint to the steering knuckle.
    2. Loosen the TOP castellated nut that connects the upper control arm ball joint to the steering knuckle.
    3. Using a heavy hammer and a block of wood, hit the lower control arm --- the upper steering knuckle connection should break away and drop to lay on top of the loosened nut.
    4. Using a floor jack and the same block of wood, jack up the bottom of the lower control arm and lift to relieve the pressure on the sterring knuckle.
    5. Remove the TOP castellated nut, and then SLOWLY lower the floor jack -- thus lowering the control arm -- and also the spring.

This is how I removed both of my coil springs... not sure what the books say.

In retrospect, I could have (or maybe should have!) also used a chain to wrap around the coil spring for extra safety.

Hope helpful.