Results 1 to 2 of 2
- 06-19-05, 03:21 PM #1
- Join Date
- Nov 2002
- 1996 CE LT4
Removing front suspension coil springs?
I was just looking in the assembly and shop manuals, and the directions and figures made me even more confused on how to remove the front suspenion coil springs. How exactly is this done? :
- 06-19-05, 04:34 PM #2
- Join Date
- Dec 2004
- Maryland / D.C.
- '69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
Well... this is what I did:
1. Remove the castellated nut that connects the lower control arm ball joint to the steering knuckle.
2. Loosen the TOP castellated nut that connects the upper control arm ball joint to the steering knuckle.
3. Using a heavy hammer and a block of wood, hit the lower control arm --- the upper steering knuckle connection should break away and drop to lay on top of the loosened nut.
4. Using a floor jack and the same block of wood, jack up the bottom of the lower control arm and lift to relieve the pressure on the sterring knuckle.
5. Remove the TOP castellated nut, and then SLOWLY lower the floor jack -- thus lowering the control arm -- and also the spring.
This is how I removed both of my coil springs... not sure what the books say.
In retrospect, I could have (or maybe should have!) also used a chain to wrap around the coil spring for extra safety.
- By Rob in forum C6 Z06 DiscussionReplies: 7Last Post: 01-08-05, 10:32 PM
- By jdads2 in forum C3 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 3Last Post: 07-14-04, 09:22 PM
- By resto75 in forum C3 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 7Last Post: 08-05-01, 10:11 AM
- By 68 427 in forum C3 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 0Last Post: 05-21-01, 09:52 AM
- By Jack in forum C3 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 0Last Post: 05-12-01, 01:44 AM