Results 1 to 3 of 3
Thread: C3 chassis stiffening
- 01-19-05, 04:46 AM #1insisweGuest
C3 chassis stiffening
I am in the process of a body off restoration and after sandblasting the chassis
iIhave found the welding to be poor .Is it a must to weld with CO2 or stick welding? If stick welding is ok which rods do I use.
I have also read that there is a perticular method of stiffening the chassis for
racing.Is this information freely available and where.Many thanks Chris
- 01-19-05, 07:34 AM #2celeryman22Guest
Don't weld the frame with stick, I think it burns too hot and will increase the chance of warping the frame. I used flux core and moved around the frame when welding. Flux core is a messy process similar to stick. Weld it with a MIG if you can it will be better.
- 01-19-05, 04:07 PM #3
- Join Date
- Jan 2001
- Enschede, The Netherlands
- 1982 Twin Turbocharged Red/Black
You can do it with stick but it will be pretty ugly, MIG w/ ar/co2 about 75/25% is the best way. You can easily lay down nice consistent beads and have good penetration.The racing method is to fully weld the frame and gusset the motor mounts, the lower contol arm mounts, box the frame horns and patch over the big holes in the frame, especially the one for access to the little mounting studs for the power steering ram outer bracket (2 plates w/ studs drop into the frame) so welding over that one requires you to weld in the studs first so they can't fall into the frame.
- By Peer81 in forum C3 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 7Last Post: 10-30-04, 12:37 PM
- By Rob in forum C3 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 0Last Post: 04-27-04, 08:07 AM
- By Rob in forum C3 General DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 04-27-04, 08:06 AM
- By Adam Wartell in forum C3 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 7Last Post: 07-14-03, 12:23 PM