Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red

Default Speedometer Cable Lube

Hey, my speedo cable is making noise, any suggestions on how to lube it. The manual says to just remove it cable end from the speedo and pull the cable out and lube the loser 3/4 of it then slid it back in. Any one got any advice or suggestions? Thanks
    GO SOONERS

Corvette(s)
    '78 Real S/A, L82, 4spd

What I did was unscrew the tranny end and put chassis grease in the cup. It will take some time to come up to the front, but it should help. This is the easyest way. Otherwise you have to take the cable out of the sheathing.

Corvette(s)

Thanks, how hard is it to just pull the cable out say about 3/4 of the way, from the speedometer end and grease it and slid it back in? Will it go right into the tranny end?

Corvette(s)
    '67 Marina Blue Convertible

If you drive your car in cold weather, use speedo cable lube (graphite in a liquid carrier, like "Kable-Ease" and other speedo cable lubricants); chassis grease gets pretty stiff in winter weather and the needle will bounce until it warms up.

Corvette(s)

Well I was messing with it today and its not easy getting at the speedometer cable end and when I went to the transmission end I discovered that the new exhaust system runs right under the cable connection so thats not simple either, I plan on replacing the upper dash this winter so I am going to wait until I have that removed then I will pull the cable out and grease it. I also discovered some anti-freeze on the floor when I was messing around and it appears that I have a leak at the weep hole in my water pump, there goes another 100 bucks. Oh the joys of loving a 30 year old car.

GO SOONERS
    at least I get to watch the SOONERS but a whooping on another Texas team tomorrow.

mike weyman

squirt some sewing machine or other light oil ino the tube at the speedo if you don't want to risk messing up the connection at the tranny.mike

dfw81shark

I'm not a 100% sure, but I think 81's my speedo cable may be in two pieces. I'm basing that on O'Reilly's parts lookup. Look along the chassis for a screw on connector. My 79 Camaro does have a two piece connection and each side is braced against the chassis under the driver door. When its speedo start making noise/jumping, I just replaced the upper only for $12 at O'Reilly, but made sure to lube it also before I put the new one in.

Corvette(s)

Thanks, DFW, from all the repain manuals I have I believe mine is a one piece. I am going to pull the drivers side dash out and get to the cable this weekend to lube it. I think that will fix the problem. I appreciate your response.
    GO SOONERS

Corvette(s)
    2006 Velocity Yellow Roadster

It may be different on the later models but if you have cruise control you have a two piece cable with the cruise transducer in the middle.

Corvette(s)
    2003 50Th Corvette

You can buy a grease fitting for the cable from eckler's that will do the job..

Corvette(s)
    1966 - 427/425 - Black Coupe

I believe Mid America sells a tool/adapter that screws on to the end of the cable ( after it is removed from the tranny ). This tool has a grease fitting on the end so you are able to pump grease into the cable. I have used it on my 66 for both the speedo and tach cables. --- Steve

Corvette(s)
    75 blown bigblock

You don't have to pull the dash. You have to twist your arm/hand and find the clip on the back of the speedometer and I don't remeber what to do with the clip but it moves by hand, As soon as this clip releases the outer sheath pulls out and you can thread it out from under the dash, pull the inner speedo cable out and grease it but not right to the top since grease will climb and mess up the speedometer.
    When reinstalling just clip it on the back of the speedometer and the clip will grab it.
    It is very simple if you could look at it but since you are upside down and twist in an awful angle it makes it difficult but do able if you take a few minutes.

Corvette(s)

You have to press the sheet metal tab on the back and lightly pull on the cable to release it from the tach or speedometer.

Corvette(s)

Well I got it loose but I did end up removing all the dash panels both sides and the dash pad, I wanted to see what it was all about, so now I know. Now all I have to do is put it all back together again. I will lube the cable and reinstall everything tomorrow, I wish I could buy new dash panels and a new dash pad but just don't have the buck's so I will but the old ones back for now.

I will paint them before I reinstall them but the one problem I am having is getting the headlight switch off the dash, I just can't seem to get it to break loose, anyone have any suggestions?
    GO SOONERS