Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    78SilvAnniv

Default Request for engine pics

Kenny got the block in the 78 this past weekend.
    Still needs the carb and accessory parts installed, but we are getting MUCH closer to actual drive-time and I am getting excited.

Kenny has found that my new heads are a bit larger than the ones we took off and he has asked me to request pics of other C3 engines.

He needs overhead pics, without the air cleaner, that show the routing of hoses and vaccum lines. We have pared down this engine to the basics and I think we may need pics of early C3 pre-smog engines so we can see what vaccum lines need to be kept and which can go.

If you are unable to post pics in this thread, please email heidiken2 at earthlink dot net. Kenny has set our email settings as strict as possible and you will be prompted to be 'added to our list'. Please also include catch words (CAC, vette, engine pics) in the subject heading so we don't delete out of hand an unfamiliar email address.

Thank you for any and all help.
    Heidi

Corvette(s)
    2006 Velocity Yellow Roadster

Heidi,

I'll try to post some tonight. I'd be happy to meet Kenny, or maybe even go out to your house , if he needs it.

Bob

Ken
    Corvette(s)
    1987 Z51 Silver Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 78SilvAnniv
    ... my new heads are a bit larger than the ones we took off
    Heads? Or valve covers Heidi?

78SilvAnniv

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Heads? Or valve covers Heidi?
    Kinda both...
    The heads appear a little bit longer from end to end and the lip that the valve covers sit on is almost a 1/2 inch taller than the stock heads we took off. We installed M/T valve covers and the overlap of the edge of the heads is just enough that Kenny was unable to modify some sort of shield that used to go there.
    Bob, if you'd like to swing by this Sat, we'd love to see you! Kenny is leaving for Denver for 2 weeks on Sunday.
    Heidi

Corvette(s)
    2006 Velocity Yellow Roadster

Heidi,

I'd love to but Saturday is no good. I have to get my Acura appraised in the morning and we have baseball in the early afternoon. Maybe when he gets back. In the meantime, I'll send you some pics or if he needs bigger pictures with more detail I can post them on my web site for download.

Bob

Scooter76

Try this link: http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/3750367.HTML

Hope it helps!

78SilvAnniv

Thank you for the pics and the link. Looks like exactly what Kenny was looking for and I'll show him tomorrow night when he gets home from work.
    H

Chris Sanchez

Hey Gang,
    I just purchased that hose kit with diagram from Dr rebuild but it hasn't arrived yet. I will post here when it comes as to whether it is as advertised. (especially the diagram!) Should be here in a few days.
    Chris

Chris Sanchez

Hey folks,

The hose kit came from DocRebuild and it was just as advertised. I'm very satisfied. Just FYI. Also I bought their troubleshooting guide for the headlight vacuum system and it guided me straight to the problem.
    Chris

78SilvAnniv

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sanchez
    Also I bought their troubleshooting guide for the headlight vacuum system and it guided me straight to the problem.
    Chris
    Sounds like I'll need to purchase that, too.
    Heidi

SMKN97GP

thats a nice looking engine. i wish my bay was that clean. but the damn 81 has so much smog and emissions **** on there...you cant even see the vette flags on the valve cover . half of me wants to rip some of that uneeded **** out of there...but then again i wanna keep the car pretty original...

BrianB

These guy's have nice picture of all their cars for sale. Good for reference.
    http://www.cnv-corvettes.com

Gone but not forgotten bossvette's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1968 1997

just a quick note the bare minumum of vacuum lines needed to run the engine is one to the vacuum advance from the carb; one to the PCV valve (unless it is real early).
    you will also need vacuum to the power brakes; headlight canisters: and heater controls. most of the other stuff is emissions related .
    What heads do you have?

68 4 speed 97 6 Speed