Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1974 454MT red conv

Default Remove front upper control arm-- Easy question

I am replacing the front control arm busings on my 74. I have everything off the control arms. The upper control arm will not clear the engine block as I slide it off the bolts. The question is " are the bolts that go thru the control arm welded to the frame?" Should I be able to slide the bolt thru the frame to give me enough clearence to pull out the control arm? Suggestion?

Corvette(s)
    1973 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by cwerve74
    The question is " are the bolts that go thru the control arm welded to the frame?" Should I be able to slide the bolt thru the frame to give me enough clearence to pull out the control arm? Suggestion?
    They're a press fit, not welded. The bolts have a serrated shank on them and will need to be tapped out of position. Careful not to damage the treads.

Corvette(s)
    1974 454MT red conv

I was looking at my big hammer and the air tools. Before I put some power to them I need to know what I've got. This may be a chalange since 30 years of oxidation on a serrated shank will not let go easily. I think PB Blaster over nite is called for also. Thanks for the help.

Corvette(s)
    Just a bunch of parts....

I just removed my upper and lower A-arms a couple of weeks ago. Other than having trouble getting the ball joints to let go, it was simple and straight forward. I am replacing them with the Vette Brakes tubular A-arms. I didn't have any trouble getting upper A-ams off, but my engine is out of the car. I hadn't thought that it would be in the way, but I guess so. I'd be reluctant to knock those bolts/studs out, but it sounds as if you don't have any choice.

You could take the motor mount(s) loose and jack up the engine until the A-arm had enough room to slide off. Just a thought.

Corvette(s)
    1974 454MT red conv

A little PBblaster and 2 good hits with a subtantiial tool and a rig I made so the bolt was protected( just a couple of nuts on the bolt) and out they came. Easy when you put the force in the correct direction. Have similar question for the lower CR and I opened another thread.