Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GotMy81@16

Default Upgrades to my '81

I currently have a fairly stock '81 with no engine enhancements. I would like to add some power to my vette. Does anyone have a suggestion on a first step to take to get more speed? Or guidelines on what to do?

Thanks

Corvette(s)
    Red on Red 1979 L-48

Install a true dual exhaust. Add headers to the exhaust. That will be a great way to wake your engine up plus it will provide a needed base for any further mods that you may want to do later.
    Steve Mericle
    1979 L-48
    Red on Red
    Hot Rodded

pauld

I agree, true duals are the way to go and they sound fantastic, best thing i've done so far bar far.

Corvette(s)
    former L81 owner!

stroke it!

GotMy81@16

Thanks for replying to my message, if anyone else has a suggestion please write. Oh and by the way, 1979 Toy where is a good place to buy a true dual exhaust?

Thanks

Dave L.

http://www.madvet.com/shop?part=1.1303.603862
    Like he said,just bolt on this true dual kit. Best and most cost effective enhancement you can do to your car.

Corvette(s)
    1996 CE LT4

Nice Vette. How you like the looks you get when you drive into the high school parking lot? I know how it is.

73Vert

GotMy81@16, I'm probably going to date myself here, but there was a cutie that I went to high school with named Kathy that got an 81 Vette for her graduation present, NEW!! Her dad was the owner of a very cool nightclub in town and bought her the car a few days before we graduated. I heard she totalled it a few weeks later though :

It was gorgeous too, kind of a chocolate brown color, with all the options!

Enjoy!! And keep the shiny side up!

Paul

GotMy81@16

Thanks everyone, its great driving it into a High School parking lot. Everyone looks and asks questions. I was voted best car in the yearbook!! All thanks to the powers a corvette.

GotMy81@16

BURGLAR or anyone that knows, I looked at the true dual kit and it said "For off-road race use only. Never to be used on the highway." is this something I need to be worried about?
    Thanks

Dave L.

Do you have any type of emission regulations in your area (sniffer test or visual?) If you do then you'll have to pass on this dual kit.

GotMy81@16

Ok cool thanx, and you did this to your car? What are the major benefits?

Dave L.

Yes I have this dual kit on my car. Increased performance... and the car sounds like a corvette should too.

Corvette(s)
    1996 CE LT4

If you have emissions, then you can't get the true duals. Because as far as I know, they don't come with cats, and you still need to pass. And I don't think you can get historic plates because your Vette is 25 years old yet. And '74 and earlier Vettes don't have to pass emissions. But this might just be Jersey, so you will have to check with your state's emissions and restrictions. I don't know what Washington does for this kinda stuff.

GotMy81@16

I emailed the people that do the emissions test and this is what was they replied with, "Currently we are testing 1996 and newer vehicles through the OBD diagnostic port and 1980 to 1995 vehicles using the dyno to simulate the average cruising speed while an analyzer samples the exhaust. This is called an ASM test. Both tests are
    being conducted in Vancouver and state wide. Exhaust system modifications can affect the readings from the tailpipe. The exhaust system should be within the manufactures specifications and most importantly have no leaks. The catalytic converter, being one of the most important emission devices, needs to remain on the vehicle and in it's designed location. Remember that all the exhaust system does, other then house the catalytic converter, is carry the exhaust from the engine to exit
    out the rear of the vehicle."
    Can you guys tell me if this means I cant put on the Trual Duals?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast