Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    '67 327/350-'73 LS4-'76 L48-'79 L82

Default SB Chevy Valve Cover Gaskets?

Cork or Rubber?

Wanting to know which are the "Best" valve cover gaskets for the small block 350 chevy engine?

Looking for the best results for stopping any leaks. I have used cork material in the past, but understand that they may not be the best to use.

What is everyone's past experiences? Let's hear your opinioins.

I need help. I have changed my valve cover gaskets three times in the past 12 months and still have a small leak on the passenger side at the rear of the cover.

Peter M. Gregory
    1973 LS4 Coupe
    NCRS Top Flight-Texas Regional '08

"Tis a Privilege to Live in Colorado"

tazdevl35

Rubber gets my vote. And they are reuseable. Make sure to straightedge your covers . If they are warped they wont seal

Corvette(s)
    1985 Blue Coupe

Folk's will argue either way about the merit's of each material,
    Use what You "Preferr".....The only thing I would ADD is a THIN
    Film of RTV on "BOTH" sides of the Gasket's for some ADDED
    sealing Insurance.

Corvette(s)
    1970 454 4sp Coupe

I've got a pair of these for sale, never used but removed from original package. Right after I bought them I decided not to sink any more $$ into my SB and focus on the 454

They're Moroso, here's the description:

MOR-93060 Perm-Align Valve Cover Gaskets, Rubber / Steel, SBF, 3/16 in., Pair $39.95

They're a steel core coated in durable rubber.

email me at mozuch@aol.com if interested.

Corvette(s)
    2006 Velocity Yellow Roadster

I've been looking at the metal core ones as well.

Robin7TFour

HELLO i prefer rubber with a small amount of yamabond sealer. it's a non-hardening sealer,yes ,a PITA to remove but it does seal very well.
    for correctness i will use cork but add PERMATEX HIGH TACK gasket sealant. brush on both sides to seal . yes, also a PITA to remove . however, once sealed shouldn't have to remove covers too often.

best to all

ROBIN

Corvette(s)
    1996 CE LT4

I heard that RTV isn't a good sealant becuase it breaks down from gasoline. I don't know this for a fact, this is just what I heard.

Stallion

Corvette(s)
    1970 454 4sp Coupe

Oh, for forum members, $25+ shipping.

Robin7TFour

STALLION, if you're getting gas on the valve covers .then there is a bigger problem to deal with than just oil leaking from the covers.
    yes, you are right ,to not use them in a gas leak application.

bubba

Corvette(s)
    1996 CE LT4

That's true.

But, if you DO happen to get gasoline on the valve covers (for some reason or another), then...your valve cover seal is shot. So... I don't think it's unheard of if a carb throws out, or something of that sort happens. You are right, though, it shouldn't be something to keep you from using RTV over.

Stallion

Corvette(s)
    '67 327/350-'73 LS4-'76 L48-'79 L82

Default Thanks to everyone.......

To be completey stock on my car, Chevrolet did not use valve cover gaskets from the St. Louis factory. They were only used by authorized Chevrolet mechanics once the covers needed to be removed for any reason.

So going rubber would be just as non stock as cork unless they set up higher off the head due to their thickness.

Tazdev.....
    Tell me more about "planing" or "leveling" the covers if warped?

On RTV?
    Does everyone use the RTV on both sides of the gasket or just on the cover side and nothing on the head itself?

Sorry folks for all the questions, but I want to do it right and just ONE more time hopfully!

Peter M. Gregory
    1973 LS4 Coupe
    NCRS Top Flight-Texas Regional '08

"Tis a Privilege to Live in Colorado"

Corvette(s)
    '78 Real S/A, L82, 4spd

I just did my manifold and valve covers yesterday. The research I did came up with FelPro's PermaDry. Supposed to be the best. I have the aluminum valve covers. If you get them, go to Autozone, $20.00 there. Haven't started the car yet, waiting for RTV to cure...
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    we grow old because we stop playing.

Corvette(s)
    '67 Marina Blue Convertible

Default Re: Thanks to everyone.......

Originally posted by Greekman
    To be completey stock on my car, Chevrolet did not use valve cover gaskets from the St. Louis factory. They were only used by authorized Chevrolet mechanics once the covers needed to be removed for any reason.

So going rubber would be just as non stock as cork unless they set up higher off the head due to their thickness.

Tazdev.....
    Tell me more about "planing" or "leveling" the covers if warped?

On RTV?
    Does everyone use the RTV on both sides of the gasket or just on the cover side and nothing on the head itself?

Sorry folks for all the questions, but I want to do it right and just ONE more time hopfully!
    Chevrolet has ALWAYS used cork valve cover gaskets, on every engine - you're thinking about EXHAUST MANIFOLD gaskets, which were never used until the tubular manifolds started in 1980.

Make sure your valve cover seal surfaces are dead-flat, especially around the bolt holes, which are usually distorted due to over-torquing the bolts.

There's no need for RTV on the head side of the gasket - that just ruins the gasket when you remove the covers. After making sure your cover seal surfaces are flat, glue the gaskets to the covers with a small bead of Permatex Ultra-Copper Hi-Temp RTV (making a "ring" around the bolt holes) and let them sit overnight; then install them and check torque on the bolts after a couple of hours of running time. Prepared this way, you can remove and re-install them many, many times with no leaks and no damage to the gaskets.

I use Fel-Pro cork-lam steel core gaskets, prepare them as outlined above, and have never had a leaker.

John
    '67 Convertible

Gone but not forgotten bossvette's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1968 1997

;stupid

If you are taking a vote I agree with the above, I have Brodix aluminum heads and valve covers and they (the covers) have been off and on several times using sealant on the cover side only.
    Craig sr

Corvette(s)
    2006 Velocity Yellow Roadster

John

Is this what you are referring to?

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast