Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cmegga

Default Dry Cell / Optima Batteries

I had an unfortnite insident this week , where I left my lights on in the gargage fo 6 days !! Need less to say the battery wont recharge.

In search to replace it, Im considering an upgrade. I wonder if the Dry Cell or Optima type batteries really offer any type of performance gain.

Will it help push more spark out of my MSD box or Distributor ?? Or is just a matter of starting power. Anyone see any performance gains to these out there ???

Trying to decide if its worth the extra buck.

Corvette(s)
    Just a bunch of parts....

I have an optima in my Vette, two in my truck, and two in my Jeep CJ7. I wouldn't own another battery. These things are amazing. I picked up six of them at the auction of an auto parts store a couple of years ago. I still have one sitting on the shelf in my garage. I checked it this past weekend and it still shows a full charge. The shelf life on these things is amazing. Mine are all red top batteries (I may switch my Vette battery for a yellow top/deep cycle due to the demands my stereo puts on it).

I don't think you will see any performance gains from one, but I wouldn't be surprised if put in the same circumstances of leaving your lights on all week, that it still would have started your car. Plus, they are a dry cell, so no worries about battery acid ever leaking into your car.

Corvette(s)
    1979 L82, 1987 Buick Grand National

I've heard some people say that the top posts won't clear the battery compartment door. Is that true?

Joe

Corvette(s)

I've heard some people say that the top posts won't clear the battery compartment door. Is that true?
    I had not heard that. I have not had that problem, but I also bought their smaller size battery. Before I upgrade the Vette to the Yellow top, I'd better do some measurements.

Michel73

I'm just wating for my battery to show any sign of weakness and then out it comes and in goes an Optima. Since the battery sits right behind us drivers - I like the idea of it being dry and safer

Save the Wave

dsagers

Just my opinion based on recent experience with two failed Red top Optimas. Appears to me that Optima built a good reputation, but recently started producing low quality products.

After the second Optima failed, and the local dealer agreed it was defective, got a cash refund and bought an AC Delco.

basilio

Default optima battery

I purchased an Optima battery for my big block from PepBoys in February. It failed to start the car in May. There is a disconnect switch which was left in the off position to avoid parasitic drain. I placed a multimeter on the battery and it had a partial charge.I took the battery back to PepBoys who "tested it" and said they charged it and refused to take it back and give me another one (there was another one on the shelf). I called Optima headquarters and they said to take the battery back to PepBoys. PepBoys refused again. The maker and the retailer refuse to stand behind the product and they each place blame on each other. They refused a refund. Finally, they began to place the blame on my car which electrically is 100%. I placed the battery back in the car and it did start only to have this happen again in July. I charged it up myself and so far it is holding charge. Granted the car is driven every 2 weeks, but this should not be happening with what Optima claims about their battery. Needless to say, I WILL NEVER BUY AN OPTIMA OR A BATTERY FROM PEPBOYS EVER AGAIN!

Ken
    Corvette(s)
    1987 Z51 Silver Coupe

There's one in mine now. Of course, mine ain't running yet either.

Corvette(s)

Wow, I'm surprised at the bad experiences some have had with Optima batteries. My Jeep buddies swear by them and I've had nothing but good experience with them as well.

I must admit that I have had many bad experiences with Pep Boys. But I attribute that to the quality of help that they hire. There have been many instances where I had to look up what I was needing, because the parts counter person didn't have a clue.

Corvette(s)
    '67 Goodwood Green Coupe, '69 Lemans Blue Roadster

I was coincidently going to buy an Optima from Pep Boys but will not thanks to yuz guys. Do you think it's OK to buy an Optima from Auto Barn (a local chain).

Corvette(s)

Based upon the other CAC members problems, I would ask about their return policy prior to purchasing the battery. As long as they will stand behind what they sell, you should be OK.

As with any purchase, there will always be someone who has had a bad experience. Without further research, you don't know if it is a trend or an isolated incident.

Eagle85C4

I have one in my vette and 2 in my Blazer....5 years now...

Corvette(s)

Decided for the Yellow Wal Mart at $59 - has a 3 year no charge replacement. Seemed like a good deal.

Robin7TFour

Twinray, what part number did you buy?

thanks

robin

Corvette(s)

Robin,
    On their computer it says Maxx1 but they didn't have any. I got the Maxx1N. Rated at 1000 cranking amps at 32 degrees and 875 CCA. That's a good deal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast