Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    84Vette

Default Locked my keys in the car last night

So i was playing around inside my car andwhen i finished i locked them in the car they were just sittin chillin in the passenger seat. It had all my keys on it, and i had parked behind any car that i could drive. So what was i to do? I thought about it for a while the decided to find the smallest flathead screwdriver i had. I took it and popped the latch on my T-top raised it up and pulled it off then unlocked the door. The moral is i highly recommend buying a set of T-top locks for your car if you have T-tops. I know i will.

vette-dude

I had a similiar thing happen and had to call a locksmith. By the time he got there I was really P.O. cause it had started to rain and I had left the top down!! (Just making light of an aggravating situation.) I hope you didn't break anything by prying the top off.

Randy

Corvette(s)
    1979 L82, 1987 Buick Grand National

You can always hide a spare key somewhere up under the body. No theif has time to search the underside of the whole car, so just find an out-of-the-way place. You may get a little dirty, crawling under there, but at least you'll save the trouble of getting a locksmith to open it.

Joe

Corvette(s)
    C3-coupe/MercedesBenz-540K replica! Racing-SB-V8!

Default -or, if'in youse don't want to "git under" try this...

-install a clever $30 "ReadyMan" combination-locking gascap with integral stealthy spare-key/compartment... click here: " http://www.leedobbs.com/rcap1.html " (Hint: -site may take while to download, and you may wish to turn-off the website's awful off-pitch digital-music irritant). Note that my '80 C3 took the standard Chevy one listed (that states for '82 and newer), ---but works like a charm (without correctly entered combo the chrome-cap just spinnnnnnns around)... ~Bob vH
    ;stupid

84Vette

I man sure not to harm my car in any way. I used a towel around the screwdriver. I tripple checked to make sure i didn't harm and peices around my tops. and i didn't pry the top off i took it off like you would when you take them off any other time just this time the doors were shut.

Nut
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Convertible

Randy..... unless I had too many Daquiri's with my Chalupa's tonight; how did you lock your keys in the car with the top down? Just a thought.

.............. Nut
    Tanned, rested and
    Retired in the Peoples Republic of MD

84Vette

Originally posted by vette-dude
    I was really P.O. cause it had started to rain and I had left the top down!!
    Randy
    Making light of the situation how did you lock the keys in your car with the top down?

Corvette(s)
    1979 L82, 1987 Buick Grand National

:Roll

If y'all have been drinkin', stop. If you haven't been drinkin', it's time to start...

Joe

50 4Ever

I find that AAA helps in this department. Locked my keys in my '79 three times in 15 years. Haven't locked them in my '03, yet.

Corvette(s)
    '67 Marina Blue Convertible

Next step: Go get a spare key made and put it in your wallet
    John
    '67 Convertible

Corvette(s)
    C3-coupe/MercedesBenz-540K replica! Racing-SB-V8!

Default -the buldging wallet syndrome....

-NG John, the Vette's take two keys (if you've lost your keys as does happen to humanoids, --one for entry, second for ign.), --then times my eight-cars!!! ~Bob vH

vette-dude

Randy..... unless I had too many Daquiri's with my Chalupa's tonight; how did you lock your keys in the car with the top down? Just a thought.
    NUT & 84 Vette,

I work for the Fed Gov. Does that answer your question!!

Randy

Nut
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Convertible

YES!!!

........... Nut
    Tanned, rested and
    Retired in the Peoples Republic of MD

Corvette(s)
    1987 Redskin Red Coupe

unfortunately if the window doesn't have an edge of door molding around the window that is fixed from the door it is very easy to slip a screw driver in and "flex" the window out enough to put your hand and arm in there to unlock it. the window will actually flex out 3-4 inches with out breaking. i've done this a few times with my camaro when i locked the keys inside and once or twice for other trans am / camaro owners when they did the same.

87 Coupe
    Old Times! New ones coming Soon!
    Best 60' 1.815 on Good Year F1 Street Tires!
    Best ET 13.187
    Best MPH 105.84
    Check out my Car Domain Site!
    www.CorvetteKillStories.com

Neepawa

Why would you lock you car? Do you keep something in it that is worth more than the widow?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast