Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    C3-coupe/MercedesBenz-540K replica! Racing-SB-V8!

Default -new retrofit C3 17" x 8" Rally-wheels...

-see on Ebay: the new retrofitable quasi-replica 17" x 8" version of original C3 15" x 8" Corvette Rally-wheels, which makes for an interesting option; -although providing better roadability for a heavy car, -will probably ride harsher on expensive super low-profile tires! Chrome-plated apparently in liew of available beauty-rings; -whatdo'ya-think?...
    (click to see while on auction) ~Bob vH

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33748

-Thanks for the below exemplary pix of these 17"/Rally-wheels (w/chrome rim portion and painted centers to closely approximate original look); --which I visually much like better than the comparative AmericanRacing/alum.spoke-wheels (most people would think them stock, -but wonder why they seem to look better!). However, as Zwede mentions, -the 16-lb per wheel reduced unsprung weight of the latter, is definitely significantly advantageous to improved road handling by more quickly responding to undulations in the road-surface, and one would feel a chuck-hole less harshly as the lighter-weight would jounce-up and back down more easily! Oh decisions, decisions...!!! ~Bob vH

:s

Corvette(s)
    1977 Coupe

Nope, still like originals better.

Corvette(s)
    1971 Coupe. 454 EFI, 5-Speed.

I used to have these on my '71. Looked great and rode better than the 15's. I didn't like the feeling of the tall sidewall with 255/60-15 tires. Felt mushy. I used 255/50-17 tires. Handled great also. Only drawback to those rims is the weight. They weigh 35 lbs each, and 66 lbs complete with tire.

I recently switched to American Racing CL205's. These look like the old Torque Thrust D's but are 2 piece and can be had up to 20". I went with 17x8. The American Racings weigh much less at 20 lbs each. For 4 wheels that a 60 lbs difference!

/Markus

Corvette(s)

BTW, some pics of the 17" rallys:

And here are the new American racing:

Corvette(s)
    1977 Coupe

Those A/R CL205's are pretty nice looking and the 17x8's fill the wheelwells up really nice as well. BTW that 's a really sharp looking 71 Shark you got there Zwede, I personally like the color as it is the same color as my 77.

Smokehouse69

I like them very much, they are on my wish list for the future.

Corvette(s)

Originally posted by C3forME
    Those A/R CL205's are pretty nice looking and the 17x8's fill the wheelwells up really nice as well. BTW that 's a really sharp looking 71 Shark you got there Zwede, I personally like the color as it is the same color as my 77.

Thanks. The color is '97 Vette torch red. The 255/50-17's have the same overall diameter as the stock wheels. I had to clearence the front fender lips like the factory did on later C3's.

SuperFast80

zwede those new wheels look amazing on your car.

Corvette(s)
    1968 silver coupe ,1954 packard

WoW those AR whells are bad azz.