Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    HighlyFanatic

Default Will Hooker headers work on ZZ4 engine (angle heads)?

according to Hooker headers website, their headers (sidepipe ones) will not fit angled-plug heads. If I am correct, the ZZ4 engine does have angled heads.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...SH/SdeMnt.html these ones dont fit according to the foot note!

however, they have these headers which supposedly fit...http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...ESH/StRod.html (read the footnote)

anyone know ANYTHING about this?

1DOWN6TOGO

checked the part numbers for the gaskets. on the supercompetition sidemount, there's a size for sb and one for bb.
    for the supercompetition "streetrodder" sidemount theres a different gasket all together. i have the first version and they are as the note says, they will NOT fit angled heads. with the "street rodder" being only offered in chrome i would take that it was specially designed for the application of mod'd heads such as ZZ4.
    Chime if you can confirm if this is true or not.

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes

I'm 99% sure that I have Hooker headers on my ZZ4. I'll do my best to remember to go out and take a pic for you tonight. (I'm pulling a 12hr solo shift at work today...yea!!! )

Celebrity's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2004
    People's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2010
    Blake Yager's MVC Award Winner - CruiseFest 2011

_

v| 1980
    ZZ4 Engine - Hooker Super Comp headers (ceramic coated) - 700R4 - Steeroids - VB&P Brake Kit - Torqlite 17" Wheels
    2003 Victory Vegas (1507cc / 92ci) - Stage 1 Performance Package - Arlen Ness Slashness Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by MaineShark View Post
    I could build a nuke in my basement. They are actually very simple devices. And we have uranium in NH. I could mine it and refine it and build one. The science is simple. The engineering not overly complex.

HighlyFanatic

Originally posted by Evolution1980
    I'm 99% sure that I have Hooker headers on my ZZ4. I'll do my best to remember to go out and take a pic for you tonight. (I'm pulling a 12hr solor shift at work today...yea!!! )
    thanks guys, inching closer towards the dream!

1DOWN6TOGO

does anyone know if these "street rodder" model headers are designed to fit angled heads?
    this would be the only option i can think of that might fit.
    the first set of headers don't fit angled heads or angled plug heads.

Corvette(s)
    Black 1976 STINGRAY cpe, T-tops

I have hooker super comps on my 76 with dart iron eagle angle plug heads. no problems from me.

RalleyRed

I need to ask you guy's that have posted here have any of you got sidepipes?
    I've asked before because I'd love to put'em on my FastBurn too.

I'm only asking because I'm under the impression that the sidepipe header is different than the normal under car Hooker header.

Rick

Corvette(s)

I just took pics of the Hooker headers on my ZZ4 this morning. So there ya go...

Confirmed: (a specific pair of) Hooker headers will work on the ZZ4 engine.

...at least in an 80 vette...

_

v| 1980
    ZZ4 Engine - Hooker Super Comp headers (ceramic coated) - 700R4 - Steeroids - VB&P Brake Kit - Torqlite 17" Wheels
    2003 Victory Vegas (1507cc / 92ci) - Stage 1 Performance Package - Arlen Ness Slashness Pipes

I could build a nuke in my basement. They are actually very simple devices. And we have uranium in NH. I could mine it and refine it and build one. The science is simple. The engineering not overly complex.

1DOWN6TOGO

Originally posted by RalleyRed
    I need to ask you guy's that have posted here have any of you got sidepipes?
    I've asked before because I'd love to put'em on my FastBurn too.

I'm only asking because I'm under the impression that the sidepipe header is different than the normal under car Hooker header.

Rick
    sidepipe headers are different. i don't know about the differences in performance, though.
    Hooker calls them sidemount headers. i have a pair on my '77.
    if you are considering getting them, i recommend you do it. some guys don't because they consisder the performance of under the car plenty and the trouble of mounting sidepipes not worth it.
    i chose the sidepipes for the look and sound. there's nothing like pulling up next to a pony and having them rev their engines. only to be drowned out by ur Hookers at idle.

under the hood they are made specific. Evo just proved that he has a pair on angled ZZ4 heads. i don't have a picture, but i can verify that mine mount to straight-out heads only. mounting mine to angled heads would turn the headers angled down resulting in them not fitting to the pipes that mount behind the rocker panels.
    so search Hooker's website for the perfect pair for you.

HighlyFanatic

Originally posted by Evolution1980
    I'm 99% sure that I have Hooker headers on my ZZ4. I'll do my best to remember to go out and take a pic for you tonight. (I'm pulling a 12hr solo shift at work today...yea!!! )
    okay, let me know

i've found a couple of other cars (not corvettes) that have a ZZ4 engine with hooker headers.....

i hope it works! i'd rather go with the ZZ4 than the fast burn anyways, more torque and cheaper!!

RalleyRed

Frantic,

Clear something up for me, didn't you want to know if Hooker SIDEPIPES would fit, or did you want to know about Hooker headers. There is a difference.

I only brought up the FastBurn because thats what I've got, I wasn't trying to tell you to buy one. The ZZ4 is a fine motor.

Rick

HighlyFanatic

Frantic,

Clear something up for me, didn't you want to know if Hooker SIDEPIPES would fit, or did you want to know about Hooker headers. There is a difference.

I only brought up the FastBurn because thats what I've got, I wasn't trying to tell you to buy one. The ZZ4 is a fine motor.

Rick
    didnt mean any confusion Ralley, (Frantic )

From my understanding, if you have hooker headers (either sidemount or street-rodder) then Hooker sidepipes will automatically fit. So i wanted to know if hooker headers (sidemount) would fit on the ZZ4 engine (like the topic title) because I've stumbled on 2 or 3 websites with people that say they've installed it....but i want to hear from vette owners.

Also, Im wondering if the Hooker street rodder ones would work on the ZZ4 heads (their website is vague)?

I'm pretty sure hooker headers would work with the Fastburn engine because it doesnt have angled heads.

RalleyRed

Actually the FastBurn does have angle plug heads.

I've been trying to find out for sure whether I can use sidepipes since buying my motor.

I'm planning on going to carlise next weekend and I will try to find someone that has angle plug heads and sidepipes.

Rick

HighlyFanatic

Actually the FastBurn does have angle plug heads.

grrrrrreat

Corvette(s)

Default Pics for ya

Here are the pics of the Hooker headers on the ZZ4, as well as the straight back exhaust

Driver Side (There is slightly less than an inch between header and Power Steering box)

Passenger Side

Passenger Side, Collector

Passenger Side, straight back

Passenger Side, bend to Cherry Bombs

As always...All my pics (full size) are up at http://photos.yahoo.com/thethingsido

_

v| 1980

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast