Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1977 Orange Coupe

Default Adjusting the Door Glass

Does anyone know any tricks for adjusting the door glass in the weatherstripping? The window motor seems clunky and inconsistent on where the glass stops and how the glass fits up against the weatherstripping. I read through the FSM and it says to sit in the car close the door, keep all the slides loose, let window up and use a suction cup to set the glass where you want it and tighten everything down. When I do I can't get an even seal at the top and it seems to change each time I put the window up and down.

FYI, 77 vette with power motors, new weatherstripping, and window motor.

Thanks

Corvette(s)
    1981 dark blue metallic

from your statement I'm guessing the rollers in the track that it rides in are worn and may need replacing.
    FWIW,When I have done mine in the past I put it to within about an inch all the way around
    and then tighten the window adjusters.
    Good Luck.
    Bill and Gail...save the wave
    NCRS member 42415
    1981 St.Louis car #2735
    all matching numbers

born Sept 18,1980
    Cruisefest 2008
    Cruisefestous 2009
    Cruisefest 2010
    Cruisefest 2011
    Cruisefest2012

Without Trucks......
    You would be Hungry,Homeless and Naked!!!!!!

Corvette(s)
    1968 convertible; 1980 L-82

The assembly instruction manual (AIM) has a page of written instructions for setting the door glasses to factory specifications. The service manual procedure is probably quicker but possibly not as detailed as the AIM.

Last edited by 6880 Mike; 01-22-13 at 02:59 PM.

Corvette(s)
    1972 stringray

J

here is a pretty good write up on the glass with pictures.

1969-1982 Corvette Door Outer Window Seals Replacement | Corvette Magazine

Cheers

Corvette(s)
    1982 collectors edition

I worked on my 1982 door glasses this summer quite a bit until I got them right.
    The thing that I came up with is with the inside panel off of course,loosen the bolts and see what they do.
    After a little experimenting it will all come together.
    Basically ther are bolts to adjust the angle,(when the glass is up it is even from front to back.
    And on the top of the door are the bolts that adjust the glass in or out. What you have to remember ,if you want the glass to go in,that is closer
    to the weather stripping at the top ot the door, you have to adjust the bottom out,it is opposite. Also make sure the glass goes behind the blow out
    clip of metal at the front of the glass,and make sure it doesn't touch because it will rattle. And there is a stop for the top and bottom in the track.
    I hope this helps.
    jimbil208
    Last edited by jimbil208; 01-25-13 at 11:17 PM.

Corvette(s)
    1992 LT-1 Arctic White

Quote Originally Posted by jimbil208 View Post
    I worked on my 1982 door glasses this summer quite a bit until I got them right.
    The thing that I came up with is with the inside panel off of course,loosen the bolts and see what they do.
    After a little experimenting it will all come together.
    Basically ther are bolts to adjust the angle,(when the glass is up it is even from front to back.
    And on the top of the door are the bolts that adjust the glass in or out. What you have to remember ,if you want the glass to go in,that is closer
    to the weather stripping at the top ot the door, you have to adjust the bottom out,it is opposite. Also make sure the glass goes behind the blow out
    clip of metal at the front of the glass,and make sure it doesn't touch because it will rattle. And there is a stop for the top and bottom in the track.
    I hope this helps.
    jimbil208
    I hope this is what I need for my 92.
    The new weatherstrips are not getting a seal at all.

Never under estimate the predictability of stupidity.