Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1970 Coupe

Default Anyone know if John Hinkley's 30-30 vale lash procedure can be used with LS-5 OEM hydraulics?

I know you do not want lash on hydraulics. . .

I just want to know if the procedure that John co-wrote for setting valve lash at 90 BTDC and ATDC will work for finding the base lobe on a stock GM LS-5 cam. The document seemed to imply this. . .but it was not 100% clear for big block cams.

I know I can do it the old fashioned way but I really like the fact that I can to two valves at a time with John's procedure.

I know my barn find 72 LS-5 had a lot of bubba work done to it. . .with all the evidence that I've seen. The car runs great but "puts" and "pops" out the tail pipes at idle but only after it is completely warm. While warming. . .even on normal idle. . .there are no "puts" or " pops". Hoping this is just improper valve adjustment and once everything gets hot and expands. . .the valve are being held open. Want to do a quick valve adjustment. . .and really liked the procedure mentioned.

Thanks.

Corvette(s)
    '67 Marina Blue Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisk View Post
    I know you do not want lash on hydraulics. . .

I just want to know if the procedure that John co-wrote for setting valve lash at 90 BTDC and ATDC will work for finding the base lobe on a stock GM LS-5 cam. The document seemed to imply this. . .but it was not 100% clear for big block cams.

I know I can do it the old fashioned way but I really like the fact that I can to two valves at a time with John's procedure.

I know my barn find 72 LS-5 had a lot of bubba work done to it. . .with all the evidence that I've seen. The car runs great but "puts" and "pops" out the tail pipes at idle but only after it is completely warm. While warming. . .even on normal idle. . .there are no "puts" or " pops". Hoping this is just improper valve adjustment and once everything gets hot and expands. . .the valve are being held open. Want to do a quick valve adjustment. . .and really liked the procedure mentioned.

Thanks.
    Yes, it will - just substitute backing off the nut and going to zero lash, then go down another 1/2-turn instead of doing the feeler gauge thing you'd do with solid lifters. The process ensures that the lifters for each pair of valves noted is on the cam's base circle.

John
    '67 Convertible