Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thread: 1980 fuse box

Sal

Default 1980 fuse box

I was just wondering if anyone knows exactly what the wire that goes in the fuse box location BAT is responsible for. I think its orange. If it is not plugged in, what would happen?
    Thanks

Well, here's what happened, I was playing around with the fuse box and unplugged that wire, forgot and tried to start the car. It sounded horrible and something like a noise from the starter or a backfire happened. I immediately remembered that the wire was disconnected and reconeccted it. After trying to start again, the same thing happened... Does anyone know what I did?

Sal

i can say that it probably gives power to the fuse box, but im not sure...

Corvette(s)
    '67 Marina Blue Convertible

Do you have the 1981 wiring diagram? Assembly Manual? Factory Shop Manual?

An orange wire plugged into the "BAT" cavity supplies full-time (key on or off) battery power from the fuse block to whatever is on the other end of that wire; normally an optional device that needs power all the time.

Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post

An orange wire plugged into the "BAT" cavity supplies full-time (key on or off) battery power from the fuse block to whatever is on the other end of that wire; normally an optional device that needs power all the time.

John- I've used the BAT lead for my TPI swaps on my C3 Vettes. You are correct- continuous power.
    1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    1 of 562
    in RPO 26U / 2 owner car

Previous Vettes
    1978 Black- L48 w/TPI swap, 700R4, side exhaust
    1980 Silver- L82 w/TPI swap, crate motor, side exhaust
    1997 White- Stock-ish C5 coupe w/A4

1995 Trans Am

1 of 1
    Trans Am / 1
    00% documented- RPOs 48U + MN6 + GU6

Sal

I have the chiltons and haynes manuals but not the assembly manual...Im not sure what device it could be... i will have to snoop around... i dont think it has any aftermarket stuff....

Corvette(s)
    1973 Orange Metallic Coupe

Without a factory shop manual, you'll just be shooting in the dark.
    Save the wave

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes

Sal, did you get your issue resolved yet?

Celebrity's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2004
    People's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2010
    Blake Yager's MVC Award Winner - CruiseFest 2011

_

v| 1980
    ZZ4 Engine - Hooker Super Comp headers (ceramic coated) - 700R4 - Steeroids - VB&P Brake Kit - Torqlite 17" Wheels
    2003 Victory Vegas (1507cc / 92ci) - Stage 1 Performance Package - Arlen Ness Slashness Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by MaineShark View Post
    I could build a nuke in my basement. They are actually very simple devices. And we have uranium in NH. I could mine it and refine it and build one. The science is simple. The engineering not overly complex.

Sal

I haven't resolved it yet, ive been too busy, do you have any suggestions?? thanks for asking...

Corvette(s)
    1981 Two tone silver / dr grey

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post

My 81 shop manual wiring diagram fig 8c-41 pg 10 of 11 shows that a orange wire from the "Bat" fuse panel, feed continous battery voltage to the ECM circuit #440. The big "Q" is what does the lack of battery voltage do to the ECM internal circuit components. Also my wiring diagram shows that as many as 7 other circuits depend on the battery voltage from that orange wire. Some of these are basic warning systems, etc. I would think the ECM is the cause of you poorly running eng and since the problem is still there after you reconnected the orange wire. You need to have the ECM tested by someone with the electronic (ECM) test equipment, to determine what fix needs to be done.

Corvette(s)
    1968 convertible; 1980 L-82

Quote Originally Posted by Sal View Post
    I haven't resolved it yet...any suggestions?...
    Purchase the GM shop manual and AIM. These are likely to show what should be using the BAT terminal.

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes

*thread resurrection*

Initial post was for a 1980 fuse box so I'm wondering if this is for an '80 or '81. If Sal is even still around...

Corvette(s)
    1981 Two tone silver / dr grey

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post
    *thread resurrection*

Initial post was for a 1980 fuse box so I'm wondering if this is for an '80 or '81. If Sal is even still around...
    There may also be significant difference between my 81 configured for sale in SoCal an those in Illinois. I spent time Glenview NAS (66 - 68), don't remember needing to meet any SMOG then, don't kown if requirements have changed. My 81 fuse block has mulitipule "BAT" plug-ins. Sal's orange wire may feed circuits different then those shown in my 81 shop manual (purchased right after I purchase Vet new in 81). After market shop manual may show more details.
    Good Trouble Shooting!!
    Save the Wave!!