Removing front suspension coil springs?
I was just looking in the assembly and shop manuals, and the directions and figures made me even more confused on how to remove the front suspenion coil springs. How exactly is this done? :
Well... this is what I did:
1. Remove the castellated nut that connects the lower control arm ball joint to the steering knuckle.
2. Loosen the TOP castellated nut that connects the upper control arm ball joint to the steering knuckle.
3. Using a heavy hammer and a block of wood, hit the lower control arm --- the upper steering knuckle connection should break away and drop to lay on top of the loosened nut.
4. Using a floor jack and the same block of wood, jack up the bottom of the lower control arm and lift to relieve the pressure on the sterring knuckle.
5. Remove the TOP castellated nut, and then SLOWLY lower the floor jack -- thus lowering the control arm -- and also the spring.
This is how I removed both of my coil springs... not sure what the books say.
In retrospect, I could have (or maybe should have!) also used a chain to wrap around the coil spring for extra safety.
By Rob in forum C6 Z06 Discussion
Last Post: 01-08-05, 10:32 PM
By jdads2 in forum C3 Technical and Performance
Last Post: 07-14-04, 09:22 PM
By resto75 in forum C3 Technical and Performance
Last Post: 08-05-01, 10:11 AM
By 68 427 in forum C3 Technical and Performance
Last Post: 05-21-01, 09:52 AM
By Jack in forum C3 Technical and Performance
Last Post: 05-12-01, 01:44 AM
Owned and Operated by © 2000-2015 Corvette Action Center | |
© CORVETTE is a registered trademark of the General Motors Corporation & Chevrolet Motor Division. Neither Chevrolet Motor Division nor any subsidiaries of GM© shall bear any responsibility for CorvetteActionCenter.com content, comments, or advertising. CorvetteActionCenter.com is independent from GM© and is not affiliated with, sponsored or supported by GM©. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied. All Rights Reserved