Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    rbell@idtfla.com

Default Scratched Glass T Tops

I am hoping that someone out there has a secret that they can share with me. I just found a set of Glass Tops from a 78 in a Garage Sale last week. I was able to pick them up pretty cheap, like next to nothing. The rubber is bad which is no big deal but when I cleaned them up there are some scratches on the top of both of them. They are not so bad that I cannot use them but I would sure like a way to polish them out or something?

I beckon the experts on this. Any help appreciated.

Bob

Corvette(s)
    1968 convertible; 1980 L-82

Clay bar might get some of the scratches out. I've seen glass polishing kits advertised which also might help. Do the Google thing and see what you find.

Corvette(s)
    71' convert and 78' both Red

Eastwood sells a kit to remove scratches.

http://eastwood.resultspage.com/sear...=29&submit.y=9

zgator

If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail you more than likley won't be able to remove them.If you can't, they can be polished out.Another thing you can do is take them to a glass shop and see what they think.They have some stuff that can take out rock chips and you can't tell.Maybe something like that.Good luck.

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes

Are these the smoked-glass T-Tops? (Mirror finish on top)
    If so, you can't get rid of those scratches as far as I'm aware because you've actually scratched through the tint coating.

If they are just straight glass tops, then yeah, depending on how deep the scratches are, they can likely be buffed out with a fair amount of effort and a good collection of polishers.

Celebrity's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2004
    People's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2010
    Blake Yager's MVC Award Winner - CruiseFest 2011

_

v| 1980
    ZZ4 Engine - Hooker Super Comp headers (ceramic coated) - 700R4 - Steeroids - VB&P Brake Kit - Torqlite 17" Wheels
    2003 Victory Vegas (1507cc / 92ci) - Stage 1 Performance Package - Arlen Ness Slashness Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by MaineShark View Post
    I could build a nuke in my basement. They are actually very simple devices. And we have uranium in NH. I could mine it and refine it and build one. The science is simple. The engineering not overly complex.