Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 81 seat covers

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 Coupe

Default 81 seat covers

Replacing the seat covers in my '81. Does anyone know of a link or source for doing this? The Rowley vette article is for the earlier C-3's and not very helpful.

Corvette(s)
    1994 Torch Red Coupe, 1981 Blue Coupe, 1973 Orange

I bought mine from Willcox Corvette 800-588-3883. They do not have an up to date website, but if you call they are very helpful, and have great prices.

Corvette(s)
    1968 convertible; 1980 L-82

If memory serves, Eckler's has a video for upholstery installation. They also have an installation service if you want to spring for it.

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 Coupe

Thanks for the info. Bought these from Wilcox and they are very helpful (and good prices). Was trying to save the cushions but they were shot. If I had known that, I would have just purchased the cushions already upholstered. The extra cost is not great and the aggravation is eliminated. Not to mention I could be driving now instead of replying to this thread.

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 Coupe

I read somewhere that the assembly manual shows the installation. Anybody?

Willcox current up to date web site http://www.willcoxcorvette.com Interior specials are being added every day.

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Willcox Inc. View Post
    Willcox current up to date web site http://www.willcoxcorvette.com Interior specials are being added every day.
    I take back what I said earlier, they do have a current website now!

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by garycr14 View Post
    I bought mine from Willcox Corvette 800-588-3883. They do not have an up to date website, but if you call they are very helpful, and have great prices.
    Did you buy the installation kit? Looks like I didn't get enough clips. I count 25 in each seat (15 bottom/ 10 back) but only got 34 for both seats.

Corvette(s)

No I didn't by the install kit, just used hog rings and hog ring pliers which you can pick up at just about any hardware store. It is a good idea if you are using your exsisting foam to get a 1/2" thick piece to cover the foam, then install the covers. It will fill the voids that the previously compressed/worn foam tends to leave.

If you are missing some of the hog rings from the install kit, email me your address and I’ll send you a bunch no charge on Monday willcox@willcoxcorvette.com .

Your post mentioned clips, but I don’t know of any clips used to install the 79-82 seat covers. The rods that pass through the cover ring direct to the wire in the seat foam. I went to our shop this morning and took an original seat back apart.

w

Corvette(s)

That is correct there are wires at the seams and around the edge that are fastened to the seat with hog rings. You need spry glue to attach the 1/2" foam to the old foam. Pretty simple procedure. The hard part is getting the assembled seats back on the frame!

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Willcox Inc. View Post
    If you are missing some of the hog rings from the install kit, email me your address and Ill send you a bunch no charge on Monday willcox@willcoxcorvette.com .

Your post mentioned clips, but I dont know of any clips used to install the 79-82 seat covers. The rods that pass through the cover ring direct to the wire in the seat foam. I went to our shop this morning and took an original seat back apart.

w
    The installation kit comes with hog rings and clips (looks like a paper clip with issues). I assumed the clips were to connect the wires in the covering and the seat foam and the hog rings attached the fabric at the edges. My seats have been reupholstered before so I don't have a guide.

Am I wrong? Seems like hog rings to connect the wires would be a lot easier.

Corvette(s)

You just need hog rings. Hog rings for the inner wires at the seams/channels, and hog rings at the seat cover edge.

I have had many a car seat under my belt, I used to own a custom shop that did auto interiors back in the late 70's - early 80'S.

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by garycr14 View Post
    You just need hog rings. Hog rings for the inner wires at the seams/channels, and hog rings at the seat cover edge.

I have had many a car seat under my belt, I used to own a custom shop that did auto interiors back in the late 70's - early 80'S.
    What do you think about using plastic wire ties for the inner wires? You know the kind used to bundle wires. They are flexible and pretty strong. Occurred to me this might be a simple solution.

I am punting the clips - they have exceeded my knowledge and expertise. Hog rings I understand.

Corvette(s)
    1982 CROSSFIRE

Take both seats out use one as a template for where the hog rings go. The toughest part is lining up the wire. I bought what looks like a screw driver with a hooked end. I used the tool to pull the two wires together. I then looped the hog ring around both wires. Once I had the hog ring on both wires I compressed it with the hog ring pliers. It will take you a couple of hours to do each seat.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast