Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    igasper10

Default Gm Orange Engine Paint

I'm pulling the engine out of my 74 L48 to rebuild and repaint. Does anyone know a good website where I can buy the gm orange engine paint at a good price???

igasper10

Corvette(s)
    1968 silver coupe ,1954 packard

At a good price is at the local auto parts store.There is a better paint from por that is a paint system .Ive never used it but Ive heard good things.I think they sell it on www.ketone.com

Corvette(s)
    1976 Red Coupe, Saint Louis C3 Shark

Quote Originally Posted by paintdaddy
    At a good price is at the local auto parts store.There is a better paint from por that is a paint system .Ive never used it but Ive heard good things.I think they sell it on www.ketone.com
    I agree, walmart also has duplicolor engine paint. Unless your going for NCRS

Corvette(s)
    1973 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ruby76
    I agree, walmart also has duplicolor engine paint. Unless your going for NCRS
    Why would NCRS object to the duplicolor paint?

Corvette(s)
    1976 Red Coupe, Saint Louis C3 Shark

Default duplicolor

I think it is one of those:

if they new it was duplicolor and not EXACTLY what GM used they'd doc you points.

But I honestly wouldn't think they would be able to tell. My car isn't original anyway and I paint the engine every once in a while with duplicolor or whatever brand is at the particular store when I decide to paint the engine.

If you are serious about NCRS, then there is a NCRS forum here somewhere

Corvette(s)
    1973 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ruby76

If you are serious about NCRS, then there is a NCRS forum here somewhere

I am a member of the NCRS (and a judge) and just wondered where you got the idea that NCRS had something against Duplicolor - it doesn't.

photovette

I found the best way to paint is to use the engine primer, followed by 2 coats of orange, followed by 2 coats of clear. It stays looking good for a lot longer.

For valve covers and other small items, I let them dry overnight then bake them in the oven at 250F for 2 hours. You married people may want to skip this part.

FYI: I don't recommend anybody use the type of air cleaner shown in this image--trust me. I know a '77 is supposed to be Blue, but it don't look like a high performance motor to me unless it's painted GM Orange.

Corvette(s)
    1970 454 4sp Coupe

www.POR-15.com Chevy Orange engine enamel, except I used hi-temp Chevy orange-red spray on the valve covers.

1970 454-Hurst 4 speed, M-22 , NO cup holders &
    Not Correctly Restored Stingray