Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By KANE
  • 1 Post By Antz81
  • 1 Post By Nut
  • 1 Post By Evolution1980
  • 1 Post By Evolution1980

Thread: RetroSound's Model 1 and my experience...

Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6

Default RetroSound's Model 1 and my experience...

I just retired the '82's factory tape deck and replaced it with a RetroSound Model 1.

I'm impressed! Having installed several Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, and Kenwood head units to name a few, I can say I wasn't familiar with RetroSound. But the thought of cutting the original dash was out of the question- so an alternative was what I was looking for.

What interested me in the Model 1 was the USB and SD capability. I didn't mind losing the ability to play cassettes or CDs so as long as I had the ability to easily play MP3s. I don't own an iPOD, so an MP3 player via AUX connection wasn't something that interested me. And really, those systems rely on the MP3 player to do all the heavy lifting- and then treat the car stereo as merely a set of external speakers. But not the Model one- it has USB, SD, and two AUX ports. It also has an RDS decoder so that it shares radio station and song detail. If I upgrade to a system with an external amplifier, it has front and rear RCAs. And, it has a remote.

The install was easy and there was a lot of ability to tweak how it fits in the factory dash. The owner's manual was easy to read and understand.

I have almost 600 songs stored on a PNY 16gb thumb drive- and still have almost 12gb of space left.

So, overall I'm very pleased with it!
    Yoda, catbert and djsroknrol like this.
    1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    1 of 562
    in RPO 26U / 2 owner car

Previous Vettes
    1978 Black- L48 w/TPI swap, 700R4, side exhaust
    1980 Silver- L82 w/TPI swap, crate motor, side exhaust
    1997 White- Stock-ish C5 coupe w/A4

1995 Trans Am

1 of 1
    Trans Am / 1
    00% documented- RPOs 48U + MN6 + GU6

Corvette(s)

Well... my RetroSound unit has died.

It started to malfunction in October and now loses strength in the built-in amp, the sound waffles in and out, and the remote doesn't work.

I think I'm going to get a center gauge dash made for a DIN and go with a regular head unit.
    1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    1 of 562
    in RPO 26U / 2 owner car

Previous Vettes

1995 Trans Am

1 of 1
    Trans Am / 1

Corvette(s)
    1981 4 speed

Quote Originally Posted by KANE View Post
    I think I'm going to get a center gauge dash made for a DIN and go with a regular head unit.
    If you're brave enough you could cut the din yourself. Its what i did on my 81.
    KANE likes this.

Nut
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Antz81 View Post
    If you're brave enough you could cut the din yourself. Its what i did on my 81.

Kane... there's plenty of aftermarket bezels already cut for the modern rectangular units w/o having to dremel out your OEM bezel. Go with a modern unit. My '81 still had the Sony unit with the XM module in it when I sold her a few years ago and everything was working perfectly.

............. nut
    KANE likes this.
    Tanned, rested and
    Retired in the Peoples Republic of MD

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes

Your posts were almost one year to the day. I take it RetroSound was of no use in terms of customer support? $270 for a radio was not inexpensive...
    I have an old Radio Shack branded (whatever their brand is, "Realistic"?) post-style head unit that I'd been holding onto for years. It had an auxillary input on a tether. So I mounted the headunit in the OEM opening and then ran the aux-in to the glovebox. Now I just toss my ipod in the glovebox and roll! It's not a fancy setup, but it works.
    I also don't really require music in my vette though. I have an engine, exhaust, and windows that go down when I want to hear music. :-)
    For long trips, I use earbud headphones or fullsize cans. It's the only way to really hear anything if you have the windows down. Wearing the cans, I look like a pilot or something rediculous...hahahah...but that's fine 'cause I'm usually flying fast & low, and trying to keep it under the radar!

Anyways, sucks that your headunit took a dump on you...
    KANE likes this.

Celebrity's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2004
    People's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2010
    Blake Yager's MVC Award Winner - CruiseFest 2011

_

v| 1980
    ZZ4 Engine - Hooker Super Comp headers (ceramic coated) - 700R4 - Steeroids - VB&P Brake Kit - Torqlite 17" Wheels
    2003 Victory Vegas (1507cc / 92ci) - Stage 1 Performance Package - Arlen Ness Slashness Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by MaineShark View Post
    I could build a nuke in my basement. They are actually very simple devices. And we have uranium in NH. I could mine it and refine it and build one. The science is simple. The engineering not overly complex.

Corvette(s)

Hi all!

I went ahead and cut the dash opening for a Kenwood CE player with USB and AUX jack.

Really, the two features that I liked the most about the RetroSound were the USB jack and then the fact it fit the OE dash cluster. After having my own problems with the RetroSound and seeing feedback about other shaft radios... I figured I might as well just modernize it.

BTW- I got a great deal on a Kenwood from BestBuy on a close-out sale.
    1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    1 of 562
    in RPO 26U / 2 owner car

Previous Vettes

1995 Trans Am

1 of 1
    Trans Am / 1

Corvette(s)

And they just dropped the price again...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cd-apple...mote/7370373.p
    Last edited by Evolution1980; 04-08-14 at 09:23 AM. Reason: fixed the hyperlink

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by KANE View Post
    I went ahead and cut the dash opening for a Kenwood CE player with USB and AUX jack.
    BTW- I got a great deal on a Kenwood from BestBuy on a close-out sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by best buys website for the radio
    Geek Squad installation
    is strongly recommended for this product. Please visit your local Best Buy store for details.
    Yeah, I'm sure. I'd love(?) to see if they would even agree to do that in an older car, especially one that requires cutting.
    KANE likes this.

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure. I'd love(?) to see if they would even agree to do that in an older car, especially one that requires cutting.

Actually... it's really, really easy to cut cluster and get it right. I wouldn't let the GS folks touch it.

• Remove the cluster
    • Remove the gauges from the cluster
    • Place the radio cage where you want it
    • Use masking tape to mark the area around the radio cage. This serves as a straight edge where the radio cage hole needs to be cut. It also provides some protection to prevent scuff marks.
    • Cut the rectangular section out from the cluster with a reinforced grinding wheel along the edge of the tape
    • Use flat files to clean any burrs up on the plastic
    • Remove the masking tape
    • Install the radio cage
    • Reassemble the cluster & reinstall

Should take approximately 2.5 hours that includes removal, soldering or crimping all the wires, installation, and re-assembly.