Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)

Default C1 Windshield post tab question

Guys,

I've read many a thread on broken windshield post tabs and it seems to be almost a forgone conclusion that they will be broken. How does one tell if the post tabs are broken? I removed the windshield from my '59, but can't tell that anything is wrong with it. The 4 post bolts are all still solidly afixed, so could it be possible that I got lucky with mine?

Regards,

Wes

Corvette(s)
    '59 Corvette #5366

Default Re:

Wes,

Sounds to me like you're one of the few lucky ones- I've seen frames where the tabs have been both bent or completely snapped off. Just be sure to be careful when reinstalling the frame on the car.

Regards,

Jim
    1959 Corvette Registry, Webmaster
    http://www.59registry.com
    NCRS Member #44671

Corvette(s)

Jim,

Can you tell me what to look for if the post tabs were broken?

Thanks,

Wes

Corvette(s)
    '59 Corvette #5366

Default Re:

As far as I understand it, the tabs would simply be missing from the bottom of the posts. I do not yet have a windshield frame, but have looked at used ones, and the tabs are usually completely sheared off at the bottom. Hopefully someone else will also chime in with more details for you.

Regards,

Jim
    1959 Corvette Registry, Webmaster
    http://www.59registry.com
    NCRS Member #44671

Corvette(s)
    '67 Marina Blue Convertible

Here's a photo of one ready to go together again - you can see the "tabs" protruding forward from the bottom of each side post; if yours don't have these "tabs", they're broken off. Corvette Central has a great repair service for about $65.00 per side if you need it.
    John
    '67 Convertible

Corvette(s)

Thanks John,

That's exactly what I was looking for as a reference and upon further review, I don't think I did save the tabs. Apparently these tabs have nothing to do with whether or not the post bolts are secure or not.

Regards,

Wes

Corvette(s)
    63FI, 69BB

Back in the "bad old days", when you broke your windshield, glass companies would "flat rate" the replacement.

The correct way to replace a Corvette windshield is to remove it entirely, disassemble the frame, replace the glass, and reinstall the entire assembly.

Flat raters would undo the top, pull back on the posts, breaking the tabs. They could then insert the new windshield without removing the frame. They could do it in minutes and get paid for X hours of labor.

I'm sure that's why you see so many broken tabs. It would be an interesting study to see how many original windshield glass cars have broken tabs as opposed to cars with replacement windshields. chuck
    1963 Corvette Conv., Red/Black, 327-360HP FI, 4 SPD, NCRS Top Flight
    1969 Corvette Conv., Orange/Black, 427-400HP, Automatic, NCRS Top Flight

1956 Chevy 150 2 door sedan. HOT ROD. 355CI, 4 Speed, Vintage Air, NEAT cruiser

Corvette(s)
    1960 Roman red, 1959 resto-rod, 1965 resto-rod

Chuck,

You are right on the mark! I believe that almost every broken tab out there was caused by glass installers being lazy and not pulling the frame. I have never seen a set of broken tabs on a car with the original windshield.
    Regards, John McGraw

studiog

Quote Originally Posted by John Mcgraw
    Chuck,

You are right on the mark! I believe that almost every broken tab out there was caused by glass installers being lazy and not pulling the frame. I have never seen a set of broken tabs on a car with the original windshield.
    Regards, John McGraw
    Just checked my 61 windshield in storage and it appears to be original glass... no broken tabs or studs on the posts.

studiog

Quote Originally Posted by wapaugh
    Jim,

Can you tell me what to look for if the post tabs were broken?

Thanks,

Wes
    You can see the tabs on the bottom of a removed, assembled winshield. I would be glad to take a photo of mine if you want. Let me know.

Corvette(s)

Thanks Studiog,

I went back and studied mine after recieving so much great help from the forum (thanks again, guys) and it appears that mine are OK after all. Of course, if they are hairline cracked, I won't know until I start taking the frame assy apart.

Wes