Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The car is packed and Europe awaits

Corvette(s)
    66 Roadster Glen Green/Saddle

Default The car is packed and Europe awaits

Hello Forum Members......

I am going to spend the next two months doing research for a possible trip to Europe with my 66 Roaster.

I will attempt to drive to as many countries as possible in a 8 week period. Late August to October 2012

My goal will be to see and meet as many owners of classic corvettes in Europe as possible. Same format as my 48 state trip, back roads, stops at members houses, visits to castles, car collections , beaches, beer, wine, cheese and other continental wonders.

I will seek out "rare corvettes " that have found a home in Europe.

I will document this trip with pictures, posts and video for a possible documentary TV pilot project .

My posts over the next few months will contain information on the following subject:

Car preparation
    Insurance
    Shipping/ Air Travel
    Travel permits
    Routes
    Gas / Oil Needs
    Legal Passport Travel Permits
    Forum Member Locations Car Locations
    Mechanical Support Abroad
    Family and Financial Support

As you can see, there are many factors that must be addressed in order for this trip to take place.

So buckle up your seat belts and get ready for a ride that "Buzz and Todd " would be proud of.......

Jack

Important ...... European Owners........

If you would like me to visit you , your car club and your car (s)

All generation corvettes are welcome ....

Please PM me with your location in Europe...... I will only put the town or nearby city on the map. Not your addresses........

As the map fills with with dots (locations) I will be able to draw a real route.

The map below will be the projected route. It covers most of Europe and will be the map that I will add the locations .

This will be the map you will click on to see trip progress. It may take a few moments to load.......

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...066406&t=m&z=3

I better get cracking on my languages..........
    KANE likes this.

Corvette(s)
    Millennium Yellow LS6 enhanced Roadster

Default Sounds like an awesome trip, let me grab some popcorn...

Corvette(s)

Default Feel free to help.....

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter View Post
    Hi,

Any information on the subjects I listed, that you think may help me or others is welcome

Thanks for the support

Jack

Corvette(s)

Default Fan Clutch

Fan clutch.....

I am working on the engine bay area........items mentioned in other posts.......I took off my original clutch fan about 8 years ago.....thinking it was the problem with overheating........I replaced it with a GM part bought at a GM Chevy dealership.

I am going to put back on the original, since a new DeWitt Radiator cured the problem.....

Pictures of the two clutches , notice the difference in the stud lengths and the housing around bearing.....and one thermal spring and the other a thermal plate...unit

Was the back of the clutch painted orange ? or did I do it late one night and forgot ?

both

Fan with H and W on centers

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe

Jack, this is going to be a great adventure. I can't wait for the plans to come together.
    ​Formerly known as Toms01
    2007 Atomic Orange
    CoupeCashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY)
    2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)

2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham, IL)

Visit the members GuestMap and show us where you live.

http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/TomBachman

link to thread
    http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...c-members.html

Corvette(s)

Default The car is packed and Europe awaits

Quote Originally Posted by Toms01 View Post
    Jack, this is going to be a great adventure. I can't wait for the plans to come together.
    Hi Tom,

Here is a link to the German Forum.......the first 3 pages are in German....then I use English .....

The first post is a Swiss Corvette owner introducing me and my 48 state forum post........and my European Trip plans....

You can use the Google translator program to translate the posts......it is under " more" when in Google
    I just copy what they write...paste in box....and on right side of page is English translation. I can then write in English and it will write it in German or any other language , and I copy and paste it in the post....But many write and speak English and can't wait to be part of my trip.

The four pages are members talking about my visit

corvetteforum.de | Wer weiß was | Jack aus Maine möchte mit seiner 66er C2 Europa bereisen - Tipps?
    catbert and Toms007 like this.

Corvette(s)
    2014 Corvette Convertible

Note to Corvette Owners in Europe. Pat and I hosted Jack when he came to Chapel Hill NC. We had a great meal, great fun and interesting stories.
    He stayed in the upstairs part of our house and didn't snore. In other words, Jack is a gentleman the you would love to have in your home.

We of course will watch his posts with great interest.

Have a safe trip Jack.

Roger

NCM Lifetime Member

The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.

Corvette(s)

Default Me snorke?

Quote Originally Posted by 67vet View Post
    Note to Corvette Owners in Europe. Pat and I hosted Jack when he came to Chapel Hill NC. We had a great meal, great fun and interesting stories.
    He stayed in the upstairs part of our house and didn't snore. In other words, Jack is a gentleman the you would love to have in your home.

We of course will watch his posts with great interest.

Have a safe trip Jack.

Roger
    Hi Roger,

Funny......I was thinking of you last night.......close game.....too back NC lost to Duke

Thank you for the reference.....the response has been too much.....looks like I will have a great time.......I think the Europeans party a little more than my American friends.....I am going to have to get in drinking shape.....lots of beer and wine.....

I am recreating a trip I took in Europe 41 years ago.....I had $10 a day book, a pretty blonde, a 36 Hp VW......and was only 24.....

I can remember being on the Autostrade in Italy.....at a toll both in my VW.....Corvette was home in America......and a red Ferrari pulls up in next both..... he takes off.....goes through all the gears and disappears in a few moments......I am only about a few hundred yards when I lose site of him......

Well this time I will have my corvette.......no blonde.........Weeeeeeeeeee....Weeeeeeeeeee....Weeeeeeeeeeeeee....pure adrenalin rush...Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Jack

PS

map with stop locations

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...=h&z=3&vpsrc=0

Corvette(s)
    1958 Silver Blue 2004 Z-06 Machine Silver

Hey Roger.....you forgot to mention Jack really eats alot.

Jack....best of luck on your adventure!

Fred

Member:
    #46106 NCRS
    #3099 SACC
    #1 Carolinas Chapter - SACC

Remembering a family member....
    Walt Hansgen-4x SCCA Road Racing Champion

Corvette(s)

Default Gas could be a problem !

The locations and visits to Corvette owners who would like me to stop by has grown to the point that I have more stops than days in trip.

One stop is this Dinner in Finland. Looks like a fun menu , and I can see Finlanders hanging out , right out of the 50's

Classic American Diner - Tampere - Amerikkalaistyylinen ruokaravintola - Wings & Burger

Here is a link to the Finland Corvette Forum. You can read it in English in the Visitors lounge

FinnShark - The Finnish Corvette Forum

The Northern Europeans really love c-2 and c-3 cars. C-3 being the most popular. A very good place to sell a C-3

Jack

Corvette(s)
    Stingray

Another great adventure - have a blast.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)

Default Blog Link

Hi,

I have started up my Blog: Jack Panzica

I will write more personal information in the blog. Not tech information ,but more personal interactions with Europeans and my thoughts as I travel.

You can also make comments on the blog and become a follower.

I will try to keep it more up to date this time. I was so tired at the end of the day on the 48 state trip, the blog suffered. Hope to do better this year.

Jack

Corvette(s)

Default Mile and Miles How many miles ?

On the 48 state trip the distance was 19,238 and SebringBill was the closest with 19,650 ...

Who can guess the Europe trip distance ? The map below is a projected route, not the actual. Who knows where I will go once I get there. But I will follow the general directions of this map.

Project Route Direction - Not Roads - Google Maps

The winner gets a weekend stay at the ocean in Cape Elizabeth.

Corvette(s)

Default TV Reality Show

Hello and Good Spring to All,

I have been looking at several TV productions on Car Travel, Classic Cars and other Car type shows.

Many of you have asked about doing a show on my adventures....

What would you like to see a show that would feature my travels in Europe. The people I meet and host me, car collections and historic places would be shown.

I would travel basically alone and would have to survive on a limited budget as I had in the US tour. Remote cameras in car and one camera man following for distant shots and interviews .

Please list the things that would make you come back and watch week after week. All suggestions are welcome.

What kind of interaction do you want to see?

Your feedback will help me create a show that we all will be proud of. After all the show is about you and your love of these wonderful machines that we give life to........

Jack

Corvette(s)
    88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!

Default Bodges on the road ( and other idea's )

OR

150 ways to fix your AMERICAN car, in the dark on a stormy night in Transylvania.

Fuel for the car AND you...( costs, availbility, quality, did it make you, or the car sick? )

The great Atlantic race ( or who can deliver parts faster....when your oversea's & what's available locally ?).

What does the Corvette need to pass safety inspections in different countries ?

Comparisons of collector cars of the same year, same price ( MBz, BMW,Fiat etc... )

Local people's reactions to this american classic...

Mike
    vigman@earthlink.net

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast