Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thread: tires for 1967

Corvette(s)
    1967 roadster/1999 htop

Default tires for 1967

I am shopping for new tires for my 1967 big block. I have pretty much decided on Firestone radials, size 215 75 R15, but am wondering whether people have had experience with these tires, or have a better idea. I want the car to look good, but I also want to enjoy driving it, and my NCRS judging days are over.

Corvette(s)
    '67 Marina Blue Convertible

The radial replacement size for the original 7.75-15's is 205/75-15; it has the same diameter, and won't affect speedo accuracy. Firestone, Goodyear, Michelin, etc. have both blackwalls and whitewalls in that size. Some prefer 215/70's (also the same diameter), but there's some risk of rubbing with them.

Midyears are very intolerant of larger tires and wider rims - they were designed in 1960 around 6.70-15's on 5-1/2" rims.

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)

I had Goodyear 215/70s on my '67. The wheel openings were lightly radiused though.
    Tom

Corvette(s)
    03 Z06,66 coupe,99 Porsche Carrera

I have 215/75x15's (Michelin Hydro Edge) on my '66. They're not too different in size compared to the 205/75x15. I have no problems with rubbing from turning or road bumps. And they're mounted on stock size rims.

Corvette(s)
    2001 roadster

before my ncrs judging days i did 215x70x15 red line radials mounted on the stock 6" ralleys and they worked fine. they just looked a little too big for my "stock" looking preference. nowadays i run 205x75x15 blackwall radials on the stock 6" ralleys.

Corvette(s)
    1967 roadster/1999 htop

Default Thanks for your responses.

I can get Firestone Super Sport radial red stripe 215 75 P15's for about $200.00 per tire from Diamond Back Tires. I am pretty sure that the 205 bias ply Firestone Super Sport was one of the three original equipment red stripe tires provided by GM in '67. I am going to go with that tire, but in the 215 size. My suspension pieces are new all around; I am hoping that I won't have a problem with the tires rubbing. I will let you now how it works out.

Corvette(s)
    '67 Marina Blue Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 3XBLACK67 View Post
    I can get Firestone Super Sport radial red stripe 215 75 P15's for about $200.00 per tire from Diamond Back Tires. I am pretty sure that the 205 bias ply Firestone Super Sport was one of the three original equipment red stripe tires provided by GM in '67. I am going to go with that tire, but in the 215 size. My suspension pieces are new all around; I am hoping that I won't have a problem with the tires rubbing. I will let you now how it works out.
    I have Diamond Back (Firestone) 205/75-15 redlines on my '67; the tread is over an inch wider than on any of the reproduction radials - they don't look "skinny" like the repro radials do.

Corvette(s)
    1966 black coupe - 454 w/5 speed

I'm running Goodyear Eagle GT/HR 215-65/15 and they look great.
    I do get a little rub on the front if I turn the wheel all the way to
    the lock stop.

Corvette(s)
    1967 Black Coupe

I am running 215 70 15 Pirrelli P4000 and love the ride.No rubbing issues.
    Shemp

Corvette(s)
    66 Roadster Glen Green/Saddle

Default 215 70 r15

Quote Originally Posted by 3XBLACK67 View Post
    I am shopping for new tires for my 1967 big block. I have pretty much decided on Firestone radials, size 215 75 R15, but am wondering whether people have had experience with these tires, or have a better idea. I want the car to look good, but I also want to enjoy driving it, and my NCRS judging days are over.
    I have Dunlap SP 60's. All season with whitewalls. Look great, and I drive all year round, so I needed a more aggressive tread.

See picture. Very stable and track very good, have stock suspension.

Jack

Corvette(s)
    1967 roadster/1999 htop

I bought the Diamond Back Firestone 215 75 15 redlines, and they are on the car. I think they look pretty good-stock, but they fill the wheelwells, and the tread is a bit wider than stock. When the steering wheel is turned lock-to-lock, the front tires clear. I haven't driven the car with the new tires on, as we are experiencing winter, snow, ice and salt in Milwaukee. The starbursts aren't on, as the wheels have to come off again. We have a few more things to do on the car.

Corvette(s)
    1967 Goodwood Green Roadster

I recently bought Diamond Back Michelin X redlines, size 215/70/15 and have no rubbing issues.
    Rick

Corvette(s)
    1967 roadster/1999 htop

Default Tires for 67-update

Last November, I replaced my old Coker radials with a fresh set of Firestone Super Sport 215-75-15's, which I purchased from Diamond Back. I am very pleased with the new tires. They look great, filling the wheel wells, but with no rubbing issues. They ride much softer than the old Cokers. But they are firm enough, and the few times that I get a chance to "put my foot in it," I actually know in which direction the car wants to go. I can control the back end around curves much better than I could with the old tires. I recommend these tires for anyone looking for replacement tires for a C2.