Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1962 rebuild in progress

Default C1 Body Rotisserie

Well I finally bit the bullet and decided to build my own body rotisserie for working on my 62. After a lot of reading and looking at the many various posts and articles it is done and works great. I would like to extend a very big thank you out to John McGraw for all of the information and pictures that he has posted on the forum regarding the rotisserie he built, all of his prior work and experience in building his made a huge contribution in how I built mine. Thank you John!!

I am now working on stripping off all of that wonderful undercoating off the bottom of the body. Of course now that I can turn the body on its side its no longer on the bottom. Or is it?

Mac
    Corvette(s)
    yellow 1973 coupe L82 4 spd with no power options

Pretty sturdy looking. Very nice!!

-Mac

Corvette(s)
    2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible

Well done! Great photos too. We'll look forward to more photos and details of the project.

Jane Ann

built mine much like johns. he sent me info on his. mine is a little different as it has to hold many different bodies for media blasting. it is also built heavy duty since it will see a lot of service. one draw back is its weight. not the easiest thing to roll around. john has help me get back up to speed on vettes since i've been out of it for many years. supper nice guy ...... but hey , he's a texan too

one suggestion. brace the front core support so it wont bounce and loosen some bonding strips.

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)

Nice job. That should make life a lot easier.

Corvette(s)
    1962 rebuild in progress

Thanks everyone it is working great and makes things a lot easier. Porch dog is right a brace under the radiator core support does give the front end more support and gives me more piece of mind. Cleaning the undercoating off is going well..... I think.

i spent a full week getting rid of the undercoating on the 62 . a lot pressure washed off. it took a lot of scrapping and a day in the blast booth to get it clean.

Corvette(s)
    1960 (pictured above), 1965 coupe, 1965 Cobra

Nice job. I rolled my body up on some tires like it was described to do in an early issue of the NCRS Corvette Restorer. C1 bodies are very sturdy and don't flex. I never had a single problem.

Corvette(s)
    '59 Corvette #5366

Man I wish you guys were closer..

Jim
    59registry.com

Corvette(s)
    03 Z06, 01 Vert, 2x63 SWC, 64 coupe & 60 ALL RED

I am consindering getting one and even thought about building my own.....how much $$$ do you have in it and how long did it take you to build it?

Herb

Corvette(s)
    1960 Roman red, 1959 resto-rod, 1965 resto-rod

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Edwards View Post
    Thanks everyone it is working great and makes things a lot easier. Porch dog is right a brace under the radiator core support does give the front end more support and gives me more piece of mind. Cleaning the undercoating off is going well..... I think.

Claude,

Glad it is working out so well! You really get spoled by not having to lay on your back under the car with crap raining down in your eyes.

I have a piece of 1" square tubing that runs from side to side, that I just clamp in lace with C clamps to support the rad support. I had permanent supports in place on the first version, but once I modified it to fit other bodies, I made the front support removable.

Regards, John McGraw

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firstgear View Post
    I am consindering getting one and even thought about building my own.....how much $$$ do you have in it and how long did it take you to build it?

Herb

Herb,

I only had about $300 in mine, but that was before the price of steel went sky-high. I would guess that $450 would buy the materials now. I spent the better part of a weekend building mine.

Regards, John McGraw

Corvette(s)
    www.67HEAVEN.com

Super looking piece of equipment. And, bonus, what a great platform for BBQ too. Big enough for a steer.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z06, 01 Vert, 2x63 SWC, 64 coupe & 60 ALL RED

Quote Originally Posted by 67HEAVEN View Post

Super looking piece of equipment. And, bonus, what a great platform for BBQ too. Big enough for a steer.
    do you think that it is sturdy enough to put a C2 coupe body on it and then be able to be moved on my trailer to a shop back and forth several times and not hurt the body? (I am not a painter, but I can sure sand, so I figure the shop can paint and I can drag it back home to sand).

Let me know your opinion....Herb

Corvette(s)

Herb,

Yes, it is more than strong enough to mount a C2 body on and transport without causing any damage to the body.

I have had both coupe and convertible bodies mounted on mine, and they are quite secure and rigid. I even mount doors and set panel gaps while the body is on the rotissere.

If you look at the bottom of the legs in the center, you will notice a eyebolt. That is used to put a cable and turnbuckle on to keep the legs from flexing out under load when transporting. I only put the cable on when transporting the rotissere with a body on it, as it makes the whole thing more rigid.

Regards, John McGraw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast